Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

.223 rem Neck I.D. after sizing ( Help )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

.223 rem Neck I.D. after sizing ( Help )

Guys,

I'm using a RCBS FL die to size my .223rem. My problem is after I size my cases & go to trim them my pilot will get stuck in the case. The pilot measures .224'' & the neck I.D. is .215''.

So my question is what should the neck I.D. be after FL sizing & I'm using win brass

Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .223 rem Neck I.D. after sizing ( Help )

Depends on how much neck tension you're going for here, but I'd run around .222" or .221" at the absolute smallest. For a bolt gun where the ammo wouldn't be subject to too much rough handling, I wouldn't balk at .223" or so. At .215", that's way too tight. You're going to get very short case life, and accuracy will likely be an issue as well. Check the size of your expander ball, to start with. To get a real handle on this, you might want to take a look at the bushing dies, like the Redding Type S dies. These have interchangable bushings (hence the name; duh!) that can be had in .001" increments. With these, you can set the neck tension very precisely, and not overwork the brass like the current dies are doing.

Another option would be to take a look at Sinclair's expander or turning mandrels. That will solve the trimmer pilot issue, and help uniform the neck tension better for you; still will be overworking the brass, and that's a different issue.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

measure the diameter of your expander ball on the stem of the sizing die. It'll probably be around .220" (allowing for a thousandth or so of spring back). The next problem you'll encounter is trying to measure the actual case I.D. A typical dial caliper will not be accurate enough for your needs. What you need is known as a small hole gauge (Enco sells them). You expand the ball, and then measure it with a micrometer. This system is very accurate!
gary
Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Guys!!

I checked my expander last night & it's .220'' . Do you guys thing my problem is the dies?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. View Post
Thanks Guys!!

I checked my expander last night & it's .220'' . Do you guys thing my problem is the dies?
first of all, what diameter is a fired case neck before running thru the sizer die? Will it go over the mandrel on the trimmer? Also whatkind of brass are you using?
Try sizing a case without the expander ball in place, and then measure the case neck. I'd not worry too much about the die right now, before checking the other stuff out
gary
Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Bronze Member

Fired O.D. .254''
yes it will go over trimmer mandrel

Sized with expander O.D .244'' no/go

Sized without expander O.D. .240''
Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Rev,

There's an alternative to the bushing dies, which might be a bit cheaper if you've got a machine shop in the area; have them hone out the neck portion of your existing die, once you determine what the neck dimensions need to be. Shouldn't charge you more than a few bucks, and I've done this on some dies I didn't want to invest in neck dies for (oddballs, rarely used calibers, that sort of thing). This is a one-time deal, so make sure the dimensions are correct. The idea here is to allow suficient neck tension without working the brass anymore than absolutely necessary. Eawsier to load that way, and the brass will last a lot longer for you.