Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

223 loads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: 223 loads

the 40 grain bt what kind of bullet is that? The real question is BT. Is that like a hollow point or what?
That good about the brass because even though i try not to i loose 2 to 6 cases each trip out just from trying to take a quick secound shot and ejecting the brass into some bush or something where i cant find it.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:24 AM
Gold Member

Bt is ballistic tip. It's a polymer tipped bullet of a hollow point design. The polymer tip aids in sleekness if you will without compromising rapid expansion. They are accurate in every gun I have put them in and for small game they work great! There are other bullets that work good also!
I was listing one I thought would be easy to load for your first time so you wouldn't have to spend alot of time tweaking your load to get the most accuracy out of it.
They are about the cheapest and easiest to find bullets when your looking reloading supplies ( at least around here anyway ).
If your not planning on trying to win any competitions then I wouldn't worry too much about brass manufacturer just remember to keep it seperated by firings and watch for any bad cases.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Silver Member

Thanks, for everthying you have really helped alot. I am going to chech out now talk to you later.
Anyone else though please chime in.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:32 AM
Gold Member

No problem!
Your welcome!
Old 06-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Bronze Member

The best load I've shot out of AR's and my mini is Nosler 55gr bt pushed by 25gr of Hodgdon Varget with Winchester and CCI primers.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:25 PM

Couple notes I would like to add that I dont think have been covered yet.
1. Seperate brass and shoot one headstamp at a time
2. Remington is good brass but I believe it is a little thinner than most other brands. Thinner= more case capacity which changes pressures and will change the sweet spot for a particular bullet.
3. I dont like 40 grain bullets in 223. They have to be seated to far back to get a good hold in the neck. deep seating = long jump which will wear the barrel faster and reduce accuracy. 40's are quicker (reduced barrel life) and expand faster (tears up game)so I tend to overlook them.
4. Enjoy the boonies - I have to drive 45 minutes to shoot on a 100 yard max range. Mail order would work well for you on all but powder ($20 hazmat fee + shipping). www.midwayusa.com is my favorite. They have great prices, fair and honest shipping and they list whether it is in stock or on backorder. They carry the 46 grain hollow points you mentioned.
5. You cannot read to much or be to careful.I believe you stated you were new to reloading. Make sure you do everything in a safe manor. Work up loads slow, keep an eye on Cartride length, check brass well before loading and look for signs of excess pressure.
6. flat base bullets are harder to seat than boat tail designs unless you put a good inside chamfer on it.
7. Ask lots of questions and we will answer what we can
8. BE SAFE!

Hope this helps ya out-
John
Old 06-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

robins , I ste up that exact gun for a friends little boy its his first centerfire rifle. We tried just about everything to try to get the best accuracy and splat and found that the 50gr Nosler Ballistic tips bridged the gap.
the best accuracy load actualy comes with a 69gr Sierra Match King bullet over 26grs of H-4895. The accuracy is awsome for a factory gun , it'll consistanly shoot .4" range and with that bullet is accurate to 600yds !!. Its not the best bullet for shoot little critter and making them pop but it sure is fun..

His brass is Winchester , fire formed and only neck sized
26 grs of H-4895 and a Federal 205M primer
69 gr Sierra MatchKing bullet seated out to the lands.

His dad uses this gun and that load to shoot problem deer and hogs that raid his garden , 200yd head shots and its lites out.
We got him 6 boxes of Winchester 50 count white box varmint ammo to start with , and it shoots pretty good around 3/4" and thats the brass we use for his reloads we just neck size and work out the primer pockets and it good to go.