Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

22 K Hornet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 22 K Hornet

This is a case where sloppiness on ones part can cause others down the road heart burn. I am shocked to hear there are more than one K-Hornet. I always believed the K was for Kilbourne. If someone decides to deviate from his reamer specs that person should drop the K and call it an improved hornet or a (fill in the blank)-hornet. I would hope commercial die makers make original K-hornet dies.
Rant is over. What I really wanted to add was the guys who post over at Saubier are really worldly in small cartridges. Check it out. Tons in archives too.

Tim
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim jurczak View Post
This is a case where sloppiness on ones part can cause others down the road heart burn. I am shocked to hear there are more than one K-Hornet. I always believed the K was for Kilbourne. If someone decides to deviate from his reamer specs that person should drop the K and call it an improved hornet or a (fill in the blank)-hornet. I would hope commercial die makers make original K-hornet dies.
Rant is over. What I really wanted to add was the guys who post over at Saubier are really worldly in small cartridges. Check it out. Tons in archives too.

Tim

I feel your pain and agree that if a reamer is changed it should reflect the changes by renaming it.

Wildcats sometime come with problems if not considered before going into this area. But in many
cases they come with improvements (Like case life).

I have never been a big fan of wildcats because of the added issues but sometime they fit a niche
that factory cartriges cant. Most of the time however there is a factory round that will do the same
thing or even best the wildcat because of so many new powders that are available.

I have found many wildcats that have been modified slightly that could cause problems if
not addressed. (The 280 AI is one example of the latest).

In response to the case growth on some cartriges, the less body taper and greater shoulder Angles
will help minimize this but at the same time they may cause greater extraction effort, so there
is no free ride.

The reason I like the Kilbourne K Hornet it the body taper ( Taper/inch is less than.011/inch) also
the 35o shoulder is a good compromise over the 40o AI on such a small case.

The only real issue with any of the K hornets is that with some brands of brass that have not been
annealed after final sizing may split on firing.

With any wildcat there is always a learning curve.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

That is a good point about factory cartridges. In fact, my troubles with case life on the hornet its what led me to buying a 221fireball. I also went from the funky split bolt of a ruger m77-22 to a remington 700 which helped. The velocity increase is substantial without much more powder, only a few more grains.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaders_loft View Post
That is a good point about factory cartridges. In fact, my troubles with case life on the hornet its what led me to buying a 221fireball. I also went from the funky split bolt of a ruger m77-22 to a remington 700 which helped. The velocity increase is substantial without much more powder, only a few more grains.

Going to a more powerful cartrige was not an option in this case because of the age of
the rifle. (112 years old) and designed for Pressures of less than 42,000 CUPs.

Most of today's cartriges are designed for 55,000 to 65,000 PSI and could be dangerous
in an old rifle. so I was limited as to what cartrige I could use.

The K Hornet was an attempt at reaching some reasonable velocities with pressures
under 40,000 CUPs buy being able to use slower powder than the Hornet.

It was a well thought out project "Except" for the die/chamber differences in the Different
K Hornets.

I think it is all lined out now and will be a fun rifle to shoot and reload for. And as Terry
Bradshaw said "I would rather be lucky than good" and it looks like I was lucky to pick
the Kilbourne K Hornet.

I would still like any more comments that anyone has, so please post comments, loads,
information or anything else that you have to contribute.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM