Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

22 K Hornet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

22 K Hornet

I need some expert (More knowledgeable than me) advice about the different K Hornets.

I recently chambered a K Hornet with a reamer that was a Kilborn Hornet (The original)
and went to purchase the dies and there is no distinction between different die makers as
to which K hornet there dies are for.

I know of several different K Hornet chamber Dimensions (One has a 40o shoulder and the
Kilborn has a 35o shoulder) so I was wondering If any one knew which die was designed for
the Kilborn K hornet ?

Some die makers say there's will work but I would like the die that matches the chamber I
have to increase brass life and accuracy.

I have not talked to all of the die makers and hoped that one of the sages on this site could
help .

The only other option I have is to make my own dies.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 22 K Hornet

Come on guys !

No one knows anything about the K Hornet ?

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Same question here!
Hope somebody has some answers.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know about k reamers, but I do know that the 35gr vmax and lil gun are a great combo for the hornet. I think it would be even better on the k hornet!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Bronze Member

Don't KNOW which is proper but I believe my reddings to have the correct 35* shld and I just fire formed brass for my Cooper m38 tonite. Hard to tell just by eyeball but one would hope Cooper uses the true 35* as well. This is also the angle listed in current Horaday manual. Once I go to load it it for real I will repost

Tim j
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim jurczak View Post
Don't KNOW which is proper but I believe my reddings to have the correct 35* shld and I just fire formed brass for my Cooper m38 tonite. Hard to tell just by eyeball but one would hope Cooper uses the true 35* as well. This is also the angle listed in current Horaday manual. Once I go to load it it for real I will repost

Tim j

Thanks Tim.

That is what I had heard also.

So far I have found 3 maybe 4 different K Hornets. The Kilbourne Hornet(35o). The Ackley K hornet
(40o). A shorter version (The case has been trimed about 3/16") and I read a post on another web
site that there was a man named ken Howell that came up with his own version that is also
different.

I'm not sure if any of them is better than the other but I Understand by comments that I have heard
that the 40o (Ackley) May be problematic while loading. I don't have any experience With this in the
K Hornetbut I can understand how the shoulder can collapse From the expander ball because of neck
tension with the small shoulder.

I am happy with the Kilbourn K hornet version but want to make sure that I am using the correct
dies.

I found a set of C@H Dies and they look correct (35o) so I will fire form some cases and then
use some Cerosafe To cast the sizing die and dimension each.

If they are not the same I will make my own dies.

This exercise just go's to show you that you cannot take anything for granted and "BEFORE"
you start on a Wildcat cartrige make sure you know everything possible about it.

I will keep digging for more info. and hope someone that knows more will chime in.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 PM

Thanks to both of you for posting info that is helpful to me also.
Just got a CZ527 in .22 Hornet a month ago. Not too accurate yet, and I've discovered that I've been trimming a lot of stretched brass. Decided the K was the way to go. But I've been seeing a lot of different sizes and shoulders.

Sure do appreciate the input on this.
Vangky.