Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

22-250 mistake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

22-250 mistake

ok guys, I have a question, I loaded some 22-250 rounds with federal 215 MAG primers by mistake, shot about 50, didn't notice any problems ( BEFORE knowing I did this), still have about 20 loaded, and about40 just primed!
Ok, afetr know what i did, I tried to load the emptys form the above, that i shot, only now the cases don't allow me to close my bolt, any way to save these cases!!, i think that the mag primers, swelled the case some, tried to full size them, and still no go, the bolt won't close with these cases now!
is there any thing i can do!!???
Old 06-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Did you check to make sure they didn't blow beyond max length?

Measure the OD of the neck of a fired case v. a sized case that has been fired with a magnum primer. If the neck is smaller after it is sized, which I cannot imagine that it isn't, then check the OAL of the sized brass. You may just need to trim, chamfer, deburr.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

yes, I did check the mouth, shoulder, and right below the shoulder, and the measurements on the fired cases with the mag promers is the same as with the regular primer, as well as my sized cases, over all lenght of the cases is the right lenght, even tried to go shorther, past the shortest sized recommended( just to see if one would work) and it still won't work!, tried to re size the cases by setting the die lower, then lower, till i was affraid of getting a case stuck!! and still won't go!, only place that seem to be a problem is the area around the primmer, the lip, the bolt closes on! it just seems too think! for the bolt to be able to close! it tries to shave brass off theis area , tried to measure the thickness here, but can find no difference, so i am at a lose here! is is because I used the mag primers, or do i have some other problem??
Old 06-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

Shoulder?

mrbb,
Did you see exsesse pressure when shooting them? I would think that the mag primer would have increased pressure and loosened primer pockets or really stiff bolt lifts.

You said you lowered the die but was affraid of sticking a case. Most FL dies require you to contact the bottom of the die with the shell holder. Is this making contact?

Next, measure the base to the center line of the shoulder. Halfway for the neck to the body of the case. Stoney point has a specific tool but an empty handgun brass will do the same thing. You are looking to measure the lenght, how dose it compare to a non fired case? If one that you screwed up is longer your not moving your shoulder back when FL sizing. Keep turning the die tell you see you are pushing the shoulder back.

Just somthing to try.

Willys
Old 06-22-2008, 02:42 AM
Silver Member

Mag Primers

I had run out of regular primers a while back and loaded both 22-250 and 220 swift with some mag primers. My normal 22-250 load was H380 38gr which is the listed starting point. The Mag primers only made it slightly hotter, about 18fps average. I doubt that unless you were loaded hot in addition to mag primers that you would have blown out the cases that far and if you did, you would have noticed a very sticky bolt.

I did run into an interesting problem with some 308 brass that sounds alot like what you describe. Do you use your seating die to crimp? I had run my seating die in just slightly too far and pushed the shoulder back ever so slightly causing the case to "mushroom" at the shoulder radius. If you have the lock ring on your seating die screwed down and don't reset each time you seat AND the brass did strech, that could be the cause. Or, like me, you screwed it in too far to get a heavier crimp with the seating die.

Rocky
Old 06-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

"... tried to re size the cases by setting the die lower, then lower, till i was affraid of getting a case stuck!! and still won't go!,...)

No case will stick IF it is properly lubed. And it is likely that you do need to lower the FL die some more.

It seems that most people "adjust" the size die to touch the shell holder with no case in the press. That's a mistake.

Under the considerable pressures of FL sizing, the press and it's linkages will compress a bit and a gap will often show between the holder and die. Check yours and see if such a gap appears during sizing. If so, adjust the die down until the gap closes, LUBE and size your cases and you should be good to go.

If you feel a case is about to stick withdraw it, relube and then go at it again. The next effort will be easier.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Gold Member

Check shoulder bump

Get your self a set of these to set your dies to just bump the case shoulder back .001 this should take care of your issue as like other before said you are not going into the die far enough to resize the whole case let alone bump the shoulder. You need a set of calipers to use these.
MidwayUSA - Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gage 5 Bushing Set with Comparator