Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

200 accubond .300 wby recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Gold Member

200 accubond .300 wby recipe

A couple questions:

1) I have a .300 wby, model 700 sendero and want to work up a good load. any information on a good starting point would be appreciated
2) from what I read, I cannot start at the rifleing and back off due to the design of the weatherby chamber. so for this round, any recomendation on a .col ?
3) should I crimp?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

I have a really fussy 300 wby mag ultralight that loved 86 grains of retumbo under the 200 ab. This gun was a real pain in the ass and I was about to rebarrel it when this load showed great promise. REMEMBER this wby has freebore....does your Remington?? You may have to start quite a bit lower and work up. I would recomend that you start by loading at "clip length" and work back if accuracy not what you want....maybe .025" at a time.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraky1 View Post
I have a really fussy 300 wby mag ultralight that loved 86 grains of retumbo under the 200 ab. This gun was a real pain in the ass and I was about to rebarrel it when this load showed great promise. REMEMBER this wby has freebore....does your Remington?? You may have to start quite a bit lower and work up. I would recomend that you start by loading at "clip length" and work back if accuracy not what you want....maybe .025" at a time.
Kraky1,
I agree with your question about whether Remingtons have the freebore or not!
I don't think they do,mine didn't anyway! I added it myself,just on 1/2" was what a factory barrel was that I measured,so that's what I did to mine.The only way to know if you have freebore is to load a dummy round with the bullet out extra long,chamber it and see if the bullet is pushed back into the case.
I couldn't even use factory rounds,they blew primers;It also might have been caused by very hot weather over here,I'm really not sure!I only fired 1! The bolt locked up,and I couldn't open it in the field! I had to put it in a vice to get enough torque on it to open it.I sold it not long after I lengthened the throat.I did play with a few loads,using RE22,H1000 and H4831sc.
Before I increased the throat,I couldn't get anywhere near max loads out of any of my manuals,it ran up to 5grs less with pressure signs.
My rifle now is a Winchester Mod 70 switch barrel,it has freebore,so I won't post any loads until Lamiglas has his chamber and throat measured.
MagnumManiac
Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Gold Member

I plan on doing just that in the near future and wont do any loading before I do. until then, I had a conversation with a gentleman at nosler this afternoon and he said he was positive that the Rem had a free bore and he recommended loading at the max col, (3.560). after I do a dummy load test, I will repost with what I find. thanks for the info so far.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

Lamiglas, welcome to the forum. I like your choice in fishing rods! (lamiglas) been using them all my life.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

If the new 180 e-tip winds up being a good shooter I think it's gonna be an awsome bullet. I am a big believer in the solid copper bullets as far as terminal performance. The new tipped bullets should take away any chance for a "non-expansion" situation. The new e-tip is so long it's a virtual ballistic twin to the 200AB.
I did happen to load the 200 ab for a friends 300 wby and he shot a 6x6 elk behind the shoulders. The bullet didn't exit but the elk died so I guess we can't argue bullet performance. I like exit wounds if I can get them. I'm not sure I'm sold on accubond durability from all the reports on the web. I wish my friend had taken a bit more time to find the bullet or analyze the wound channel but he didn't.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Gold Member

I loaded a 200 gr accubond loosley in the case at 3.890. this was plenty to long for the magazine but I wanted to check on the freebore issue. I painted the bullet with a black sharpie and chambered the round. it didnt touch the lands and it didnt seat the bullet any further. can i assume then that it has freebore? In the past I have used the speer manual and only loaded to their "col tested at". In the speer manual it has a different max for each bullet type/weight and for the 200 grain bullet it lists 3.560. nosler information I read only gives one col not specific for bullet type/weght, and the hodgon website shows a col for the 200 gr accubond at 3.590. in addition to this info, kraky1 mentioned starting at max magazine length and going from there. kraky1, does this mean up to the point of the 3.590, or do you not worry about listed max col's? can going outside of listed col's cause pressure danger? so far the load I am working on is a 200 gr accubond, retumbo powder in 1/2 grain increments starting at 79 grains. the only left to determine is a col? any additional info on safety, accuracy etc, as it pertains to col in a freebore chamber is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.