Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

140 gr 7mm rem mag load recomendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM

140 gr 7mm rem mag load recomendations

I'm new here so hello all, I'm looking for any recomendations for loading the 7 rem mag using 140 gr pills. I have tons of load data, just looking for what may have worked best for some of you. Particually with a berger bullet.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 140 gr 7mm rem mag load recomendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogsy View Post
I'm new here so hello all, I'm looking for any recomendations for loading the 7 rem mag using 140 gr pills. I have tons of load data, just looking for what may have worked best for some of you. Particually with a berger bullet.
I have 3, 7 mags , believe it or not, but they all have different diets and different intentions. As far as a Berger in 140 class, I have had very good luck with about 68-69 grains of H1000' and WLR primers. Also have good luck with about 68.5 -RL22, and 215 primers. Bergers have a sweet spot, mine happens to be with a COAL of 3.336. In my 700 P, that happens to be about .040 off the lands. You may have to experiment, but when you find find the spot, WOW. Everything I have shoots them extremely well, almost sick . AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7STW.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM

I was steering towards reloader 22 only because it may be the best suited powder I have for the application. I'm using a vanguard I rec as a gift and I understand that weatherby's have long throats, and like the long jumps. but I have no sammi specs as to O.A.L for these bullets so I'll be playing with that. Thanks for reply
Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was steering towards reloader 22 only because it may be the best suited powder I have for the application. I'm using a vanguard I rec as a gift and I understand that weatherby's have long throats, and like the long jumps. but I have no sammi specs as to O.A.L for these bullets so I'll be playing with that. Thanks for reply
Yes an no on the long throat issue. On there proprietary ammo,( ie, 300 Weatherby) they are long throated just as the Ultra mags. I have had a few of them through the years, and have found that the throats on " standard" ammo, are relatively normal in it's setting. However the actual Weatherby rounds are definitely free bored. : AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7STW.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 PM

So now I'm a little confused. The free bore I assume is the first part of the bore with no rifleing. I think maybe I've heard that the 300 weatherby mag has like .375 of free bore which I presume is huge considering that most handloaders seat bullets touching rifling or maybe .005 .010 of lands. So sammi specs would put that bullet .375 off lands. So does weatherby seat bullets that much deeper or do they chamber there bore with no rifling in the begining. I hope This isn't confusing us more. Then do they chamber standard cartridges with no free bore or does this only appear on the weatherby cartridges I'm not appossed to buying any new component that will boost my selfesteem but my wife may say differently. She doesn't enjoy the local gun shop as much as I do.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So now I'm a little confused. The free bore I assume is the first part of the bore with no rifleing. I think maybe I've heard that the 300 weatherby mag has like .375 of free bore which I presume is huge considering that most handloaders seat bullets touching rifling or maybe .005 .010 of lands. So sammi specs would put that bullet .375 off lands. So does weatherby seat bullets that much deeper or do they chamber there bore with no rifling in the begining. I hope This isn't confusing us more. Then do they chamber standard cartridges with no free bore or does this only appear on the weatherby cartridges I'm not appossed to buying any new component that will boost my selfesteem but my wife may say differently. She doesn't enjoy the local gun shop as much as I do.
You are correct about the unrifled section in front of the chamber at the bullet end. It is designed to let the chamber pressure rise slowly and get no spikes. For the most part, a gun with freebore, typically can not be seated into the lands and still fit in the box. The Weatherby mags do this, and Remington does it with the ultra mags. MOST standard cartridges are not free bored, thus the ability to seat into the riflings and fit the magazine box. I have seen rfles with as much as .500 freebore. Hope this helps.
AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 AM

This is alll kind of what I had in mind in the begining. Im looking for OAL specs for berger 140 gr vld tried to Email berger havent heard back from them. Have any insight on this