Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

14 twist wont stabilize 55 gr bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 14 twist wont stabilize 55 gr bullets

lots of good points here. i know alot of guys are saying try different bullets. that was my first thought. but the problem is i cant get any. i was shooting the varmegeddon because i found them in stock. the sierra 52 gr match was what i wanted but havent been able to find. it. i have a swift with a 14 twist that shoots 52 bergers into 1 holers with just about any charge of rl 15 powder. would really like to try some of the bergers if i can find them.
the other day i walked in to the store and they had some 50 gr vmaxes so i bought them and only got to shoot a few rounds but it looked promising. both h 380 and varget showed groups between .5 and .7. so i think with a bit more timkering i can get her to shoot. before anything im gonna pick up an hs stock and bed it. thought i could deal with the factory stock for a while but i just cant.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 14 twist wont stabilize 55 gr bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster_65 View Post
lots of good points here. i know alot of guys are saying try different bullets. that was my first thought. but the problem is i cant get any. i was shooting the varmegeddon because i found them in stock. the sierra 52 gr match was what i wanted but havent been able to find. it. i have a swift with a 14 twist that shoots 52 bergers into 1 holers with just about any charge of rl 15 powder. would really like to try some of the bergers if i can find them.
the other day i walked in to the store and they had some 50 gr vmaxes so i bought them and only got to shoot a few rounds but it looked promising. both h 380 and varget showed groups between .5 and .7. so i think with a bit more timkering i can get her to shoot. before anything im gonna pick up an hs stock and bed it. thought i could deal with the factory stock for a while but i just cant.
I think before I got too carried away, I'd do a chamber cast to see what's going on in there. Have you checked the barrel for tight spots and loose spots?
gary