Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Your expertise is needed helping a new guy decide on rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 PM

Your expertise is needed helping a new guy decide on rifle

Hey guys, very new here. I have done a boatload of reading on here and other places. I'm wanting to buy my first long range rifle. Starting out I will be shooting paper, then possibly coyotes, white tail, maybe wolves with this rifle. I am wanting to work my way up to sub moa groups at 1000 yards with this rifle. I am 95% set on .308 caliber because of the affordability of the ammo, but if you guys have other suggestions feel free to drop them in. What I would like to do is start off buying a factory rifle, good optics, rings, rail and bipod, start shooting, then start changing stuff out, barrel, trigger, stock etc. I have chosen three rifles that I think I want and am leaning strongly towards. No matter which rifle it will be synthetic stock, bluer barrel

First option: savage 110. I like the feel, the safety, and have read a lot as far as value for my money. I do not like the accutrigger and will be wanting to replace that ASAP. Does a Accutrigger have value? What I don't like is the center trigger, it just bothers me, however I have never fired one. I like that there is a lot of aftermarket options and seems there is a lot of good reviews. I love the made in America, but have a kubota, so not a complete hang up.

Second option: Remington 700. I like the feel of it like what I have read. Dislike the safety, really seems to be in a horrible place. I like the fact that it is also a highly customizable rifle. This was my top choice until I read some reviews about people who had issues with warranty. Perhaps this is a problem with all brands, perhaps when I put aftermarket accessories on any rifle I'll have this issue.

Third option: how a 1500 target master. Held one last week and wow, it was amazing. Loved the stock, the trigger the everything. What I don't like is it's hard to upgrade them. So along with this option would be building a rifle, overtime, in a caliber I could hunt large game at 1000+ yards. Hold up on this is I'm 26, married, two kids under 4 and the wife will be popping the third out in January, and she seems to think we have better stuff to spend money on, I know right, women lol, (no offense meant women of LRH, very sarcastically said).

I want to reload, I want to learn how to do gunsmithing, I want to learn how to shoot extreme long ranges with extreme accuracy. I know it will take time. Thanks a lot guys and gals, your knowledge will be appreciated. One last thing, I will be fully open to a used rifle, and will spend more on optics. I have set a rough price limit at $1500 for the complete setup, stock rifle, optics, rings, rail, bipod. Thanks again.

Edit: I will be looking for a rifle over the next month or two and if not found by then I'll buy a new one

Last edited by Newguywi; 11-22-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Your expertise is needed helping a new guy decide on rifle

Weatherby Vanguard & Howa 1500 are the same action, but the Wby Vanguard is half the price. Stocks swap out etc. The Vanguard S2 is a great rifle, with a good adjustable trigger for the $, & it'll getcha started just fine.

Also shop Craigslist or LRH Classifides for used Leupold glass. You can send most models in to Leupold Custom Shop for new or customized reticle, & or turrets WAY CHEAPER than buying a new scope. Warranty is still forever, just like it always is, no matter who purchased it new or used.

That aught to get you slinging lead, & have some left over for the start of your reloading equipment.

Mine are 7, 5, & 2 in December. I know full we'll $$ is always tight, & doesn't grow on trees. Especially around Christmas, & with mamma being ready to pop.
Wait till tax time to buy if it helps keep the peace with mamma. Sometimes works for me anyway

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Silver Member

i think you have a good choice of caliber.easy on the wallet,accurate ect.my vote is for the savage.it is a good platform to start with and build off of.also,it will be cheaper to build on in the future as you can do the barrel swap yourself.the accutrigger isn't that bad,it will work until you replace it.i like the timney but the rifle basixs triggers are nice as well.just throw a decent scope and mounting system on whatever you get.also you will find that handloading will improve just about anything with attention to detail on your loads plus you will be able to shoot more and that is key.hope this helps
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

I think the Savage will give you the best shot at the kind of out of the box accuracy you are looking for, as well as value for you dollar. I have a few, and they are all shooters giving .5 MOA or better. I agree with the prior post that the Accutrigger is not bad, probably one of the better factory triggers. I'd try it out before you place it.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM

Thanks a lot for the replys guys. Been a busy few days with the holiday, haven't had time to respond. I have read a lot on the accutrigger and it won't be a top priority to get changed out. Top priority will be optics but to tell you the truth I haven't decided on optics yet, I will start researching them more in depth when I get the rifle.

The savage was/is definitely where I am leaning. Do you guys have any recommendations on model? How about barrel length and twist? Would I be better off with not worrying about the barrel and just switching it out or will the right factory barrel shoot better than I can? Thanks again guys
Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

The model really depends on your needs. For the longer range shooting without going crazy weight wise, I like the LRH. Mine has a great barrel as do a couple of buddies of mine. My 6.5x284 can hit softball sized rocks at 1000 yards(if I do my part).

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

what will your budget be for the rifle alone not counting optics ect?