Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Would a muzzle brake help with control?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2005, 07:01 AM
Gold Member

Re: Would a muzzle brake help with control?

Hollands QD and OPS Inc.s brakes are very popular and effective.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

TAC:

I have a Holland QD brake on a 7mm Wby. mag. And Kirby is installing two more Hollands on 2 new rifles for me this summer. They work great and really do reduce the felt recoil. Also, because of the design, muzzle lift is reduced or eliminated and spotting your own shots is easy.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Bronze Member

I have a Vais break on my 300 win mag and it kicks less than my 308, probably closer to a 243. The Vais is also the quietest one I have been around. If shooting prone it kicks up the dirt a little more, but it is tolerable. I have shot this rifle about 100 times in one day in many different shooting positions comfortably and I weigh 165 lbs. They screw onto the end of the barrel, so they can easily be taken off if you want to shoot it in a comp. yes it will help you with control. I can usually see impact as it doesnít jump or torque like before. While shooting off a bench I am able to shoot it with one hand under the but, squeezing a bag. I wonít own another 300 without one.

Glen
Old 06-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Writers Guild

Without a doubt, a muzzle brake will help with stability and recovery with a magnum. The big issue is noise. You don't shoot one of these without ear protection or you will get hurt!!!.

Saying that, all my LR hunting rifles wear muzzle brakes because I hunt from static locations and have time for ear muffs.

The one I have on my 7RM is both economical and works great. It's the Micaluk (sp?) AR15 brake. Had it screwed onto my Savage 110 sporter barrel and exit hole enlarged. You should be able to have one bought and installed for $150 or under. That's great value.

Multichamber, side ported brake that is quite wide. Recoil reduction is wonderful. More like a 22/250 then a 7RM launcing 162gr bullets in a 9lbs rifle. LOUD but that means the brake is working.

You might like this for your rifle.

Jerry
Old 06-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks everyone for the information. I think I'll go ahead an plan to have one installed (I'll look at the Vais and other as well). I'll have a barrel cap made incase I prefer to shoot without it.

Cheers.

Tyler
Old 06-18-2005, 06:30 AM

I read your intitial post....

you say you have to pull the rifle into you ( thats good ) and down??? How are you pulling the rifle down?? are you placing your hand on the rifle ie: on top of the barrel to keep it down, or to keep it from jumping? I have seen lotsa guys do this at the range and then they wonder why they can't hit squat afield.. you really screw up- the barrel harmonics when ya do that...

I agree you should have a break installed but if you are doing the above you may want to have the barrel free floated as well. even a full accurizing job...

it sounds like the is more to it than just a break...
I would also practice from a bi-pod or how you will be shooting afield...I have yet to see hunters carrying sandbags for dee hunting [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Bronze Member

Rick,
The barrel is free floated and the laminated stock has been pillar bedded and the action glass bedded.

Iím pulling the rifle into my shoulder and my weight is pushing the rifle down into the rear sand bag (not excessively, but firm). My free hand rides the stock up along side the stock and my index finger applies downward pressure when Iím ready to fire.
Now normally, with my heavier rifles (in varmint calibersÖ22-250 and 243) my free hand sits behind the bolt and is part of my setup for my cheek/stock contact. Barrel jump is not an issue with these rifles.

I spoke to my local gun smith and he said that a brake may help, but the larger magnum, light weight hunters are going to move around more just from the torque of the bullet through the barrel Ė and that light rifles do not make good long range rigs (in large magnum calibers).

I respect his opinion, but it is just one opinion and Iíve seen others shoot well with hunting weight riflesÖ this was the catalyst for my original question.

I will still try a brake before I buy the PSS.

Tyler