Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out


Reply

Would like some opinions onto a good 500yd rifle?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: philipsburg pa
Posts: 29
Re: Would like some opinions onto a good 500yd rifle?

I would rather see you not go with the 300 wsm or the sako,why,my boss got on a 300 wsm kick this summer and wanted a light weight gun,so he bought a rem model 7,then a sako finnlight and finally to a custom rifle,I shot over 500 rounds thru those 3 guns and none of the 3 could produce 1/2 moa groups with factory or handloads with 180 grain bullets at 3000 fps or above,the sako was the only one that didnt have feeding problems,a friend of mine has a winchester and it has feeding problems.The 300 win mag long version will do anything you want it to if you can handel the recoil.They also produce higher velocities i have seen several go 3150 with 180 grain bullets and 30 cal bullet selection is excellent.Also if you dont reload or something happens to your ammo,ammo can be found almost anywhere and they make some very goods factory loads for it.Do what you want and good luck with it,this is just my personal experience.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 798
Re: Would like some opinions onto a good 500yd rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomasb1 View Post
I would rather see you not go with the 300 wsm or the sako,why,my boss got on a 300 wsm kick this summer and wanted a light weight gun,so he bought a rem model 7,then a sako finnlight and finally to a custom rifle,I shot over 500 rounds thru those 3 guns and none of the 3 could produce 1/2 moa groups with factory or handloads with 180 grain bullets at 3000 fps or above,the sako was the only one that didnt have feeding problems,a friend of mine has a winchester and it has feeding problems.The 300 win mag long version will do anything you want it to if you can handel the recoil.They also produce higher velocities i have seen several go 3150 with 180 grain bullets and 30 cal bullet selection is excellent.Also if you dont reload or something happens to your ammo,ammo can be found almost anywhere and they make some very goods factory loads for it.Do what you want and good luck with it,this is just my personal experience.

With a 500 yard limit on his shooting I see no reason he needs a rifle that will shoot 1/2 moa groups. Sure, I WANT all my rifles to shoot that well, but not all do. If he can consistently hold 1.5 moa groups he's talking dead elk to, and past, 500 yards.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: philipsburg pa
Posts: 29
Re: Would like some opinions onto a good 500yd rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buano View Post
With a 500 yard limit on his shooting I see no reason he needs a rifle that will shoot 1/2 moa groups. Sure, I WANT all my rifles to shoot that well, but not all do. If he can consistently hold 1.5 moa groups he's talking dead elk to, and past, 500 yards.
Really,1.5 moa at 500 yards =7.5" not including shooter error,wind drift and missed calculations, to me that =POOR SHOT PLACEMENT AND WOUNDED ANIMALS
And then what happens when he want to shoot farther,which will probally happen.really,why not go with a gun that will do it better,now im not saying the 300wsm cant be accurate but the 300 wm can and will do it faster with more room to seat a big bullet and more choices for factory ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mesa,Arizona
Posts: 5
Re: Would like some opinions onto a good 500yd rifle?

300RUM sendaro is a good out of the box performer
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern Wheat Field, CO
Posts: 534
Re: Would like some opinions onto a good 500yd rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomasb1 View Post
Really,1.5 moa at 500 yards =7.5" not including shooter error,wind drift and missed calculations, to me that =POOR SHOT PLACEMENT AND WOUNDED ANIMALS.
Maybe not so much.
The elk that I hunt have a 16" heart lung target.

Seems to me that shooting 10" at 500 yards consistently is good enough to put elk on your table when you bring enough gun. Many of the 7mm mags will do the job.

The 30 cal mags will do the job faster. As in less tracking.

JMHO
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 4,359
Re: Would like some opinions onto a good 500yd rifle?

This is kinda advocating lowering the standard from <1 MOA to 1 elk MOA ... yeah it's good enough for elk ... they're a big target :(:(:( ...

As SBruce's sig line says. "AIM SMALL = MISS SMALL" and we all know what it's required to achieve that.
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 224
Re: Would like some opinions onto a good 500yd rifle?

I own a 7mm and a 300 WSM. Have shot the 7mm for 25 years and killed a few elk and several mule deer with it. The 7mm does good with 160 gn bullets but starts to loose steam with 175 gn bullets. I like the 300 WSM because it throws the 180 gn bullets very well. The 300 WSM does have drawbacks though, they can have feeding issues due to the short fat case and steep shoulder. As a matter of fact, some people recommend NOT using a 300 WSM for grizzly and such. Also, most rifles hold fewer rounds in 300 WSM.

I have a Savage 12 VLP DBM in 300 WSM. Could not get it to shoot ANY factory ammo well. The thing was like 2 MOA, very discouraging. Then started reloading it with Norma brass, Federal 210m primers, H4350, and 180 accubonds set .005 of the lands and now it is 1/2 MOA! I have 200 rounds thru the Savage and have had absolutely no feeding issues. Only issue I have is that the removable magazine only holds two rounds.

As far as the Sako 300 WSM goes. I have heard that they do not shoot 180 gn bullets very well sometimes because they only have a 11 twist rate. Most standard 300 WSM rifles use a 10 twist rate which allows them to shoot the lighter and heaver bullets. If you search this site and the web you will find the Sako twist rate issue discussed a lot.

Only bad thing I can say about the 300 WM is that belted magnum cases can be a little more difficult to deal with when reloading. Most people don't get as many reloads from a case due to various issues with the belt. This is why I love my 300 WSM. The 300 WSM is belt-less and does not have these issues

I would look into the Sako twist rate issue a little closer, if I was going to get one. Love the look and feel of them and would be a much better carry gun than my Savage.

Everyone is right about the weight. The Savage 12, like the Sendero, is about 12 lbs. dressed out. I would try to get something more like 8.5 to 9 lb. dressed out, if hiking with it.

For recoil. I feel that is not enough difference between the 7mm, 300 WSM, and 300 WM to really worry about. If you can shoot one you can shoot the others. I would try not to make a decision based on recoil, but would not get some super light weight mountain rifle in any of them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Would like some opinions onto a good 500yd rifle?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the .338 Whisper a 500yd elk round? MontanaMarine Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 11 12-21-2013 11:24 PM
~500YD bullet for 260 Rem. Knothead08 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 9 08-12-2012 04:00 AM
opinions on rifle make & cal for long range rifle 308junkie Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 7 07-23-2012 04:14 PM
Scope for a 500yd 6.5/284? Gota6.5 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 7 04-11-2008 10:20 AM
i have a good deal on this rifle will it be good for long range bigrich954rr Equipment Discussions 0 01-02-2005 05:35 PM

Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 72.93%
1,649 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 27.07%
612 Votes
Total Votes: 2,261
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC