Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Winner of Manners contest looking for help on first build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Winner of Manners contest looking for help on first build

I love when a lefty gets a rifle he wants, instead of the plain jane stuff the factories are selling to us lefty's. I finally got my lh 7mm stw in a rem 700 just a month and a half ago. Please don't choose a plain vanilla round just because.
If you really want your rifle to be a 300 wsm, go for it, but you could get a tikka or browning in that cartridge for around the price of a good barrel and blueprint job. Your rifle is a short action, so the 7stw isn't an option, but there are a whole lot of short action calibers that you'll never see lefty, like the 6.5x55 swede, the 385win, the 6.6 or 350 rem mags, and the 376 steyer.
Ya gotta get what suits you, but you can get pretty creative when you don't have to do what the factory wants. How about a 257x300 wsm, equaling the mighty 257 Roy in a short action.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Gold Member

The only reason why I went with factory loads is he doesnt reload. Reloading does open up a better variety. I believe the 6.5x55 swede from what I've heard is better suited to a long action? so that you can seat the bullets out and take better advantage of the case capacity.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

I do reload but I don't have all the equipment to do load buildup like a chrono. I only have a single stage hornady press, scale, and the rest of the basics.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpd1295 View Post
I do reload but I don't have all the equipment to do load buildup like a chrono. I only have a single stage hornady press, scale, and the rest of the basics.
Oh well you have all you need then. You can use your groups ie ladder testing that will make not having a chrono not a very big deal. I like the digital scales but you can do just fine without. Dont be intimidated by the special reloading steps they really aren't that complicated. Shawn Carlock at defensive edge has a video on reloading for longrange hunting that really helps you get the basics of precision handloading. On your standard bolt face I really like the 6.5x47 lapua option , I really think (and I may be wrong) the 6.5x 55 swede it better suited to a long action but it will fit in the short action just wont be able to seat the bullets long. If going to the magnum boltface, which I really dont think will be hard I like the wsms I think your choice of 300wsm is a great choice, I might go with the 7mm wsm but you cant go wrong either way the 7 will have less recoil and do every thing you want. But again get with a gunsmith who actually does what you are asking about for example longrange hunting and get his advice he will be best to help you as he has probably built and shot many more gun combination than anyone of us regular shooters.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Thank you everyone for all your input. I could probably spend a lot of time and money trying a bunch of different caliber and load options that you guys are helping out just to help a newbee. That is why I like the outdoor lifestyle. Everyone is willing to help just to help.
Once again thank you and please keep up the hints and advice. Right now I am leaning towards the 6.5X47 lapua but I want to be sure it can make a humane kill on a deer sized animal at around 600 yds. Can any hunters out there give me some input on this? The main use of this rifle will be to hunt and take game but I do want a "tack driver" I can show off at the range.
Bill.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpd1295 View Post
Thank you everyone for all your input. I could probably spend a lot of time and money trying a bunch of different caliber and load options that you guys are helping out just to help a newbee. That is why I like the outdoor lifestyle. Everyone is willing to help just to help.
Once again thank you and please keep up the hints and advice. Right now I am leaning towards the 6.5X47 lapua but I want to be sure it can make a humane kill on a deer sized animal at around 600 yds. Can any hunters out there give me some input on this? The main use of this rifle will be to hunt and take game but I do want a "tack driver" I can show off at the range.
Bill.
Well this is where I will step out my longest shot on an animal is at 352 so I can't give you personal expierence. From a theoritical stand point many people consider min 1000 ft. lbs of energy to be ethical on deer. The 6.5 x 47 lapua with a 140 berger should be able to get up to 2750 fps I believe and with those numbers at 600 you will have 1129 ft. lbs at 700 you have 987 and I think you're still good. Hopefully other will take over from here, good luck
Old 05-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

The 6.5x47 actually has very good barrel life & from all reports is capable of incredible accuracy. The setbacks are the initial reloading costs, factory ammo is, well.... rediculously expensive, you are going to want to reload & since Lapua is known for being the best brass on the planet you have that going for you. The 6.5 bullet diameter is starting to catch (again), with new offerings from several manufacturers, you're in good shape. You should be able to utilize your .243 bolt & magazine, which will reduce overall cost.

The 6.5x47 won't have the "lazer" like trajectory (which is why it will have far more usable bbl life than a 7wsm), but should offer what you need to make your 600yd shot. (very close to 260rem performance).

The 300wsm will also offer longer bbl life than the 7wsm. Either wsm will carry "killing power" at much greater distance than the x47 at the cost of bbl life, powder & recoil. As stated, this will not fit your .243 bolt, opening it up is possible but in respect to cost, a proper bolt from PTG w/better extractor (read M-16) is far easier & an a much better overall quality product. The WSM, when utilizing the high BC projectiles will also be MUCH longer than originally designed, you will have to install an extended magazine (or DBM) which will also increase cost. (unless you run single shot)

Hopefully that helps muddy the water a little