Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Winner of Manners contest looking for help on first build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Winner of Manners contest looking for help on first build

Hello all.
I am the winner of the long range hunting March Manners stock contest. I am looking for a gunsmith to work on my build. I have an old (1988) remington 700 bdl in 243. This rifle is left handed short action and I was never able to get it to shoot well. I am looking to get it re-barreled in 300 wsm (I already have a 308 in right hand) and get the action trued up. I ordered the manners MCS-T4A stock in LH Remington 700 SA. Since I won the stock from this site I thought it would be best to get this sites input on where to get the work done and what to get done.
I had some advice from a local amateur gunsmith because I needed to order the stock to fit the build. Based on his recommendations I ordered the stock to fit a Tubbs oversize recoil lug, M-40 barrel contour, and get the pillars installed.
Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

Re: Winner of Manners contest looking for help on first build

i am currently having a gun built by Benchmark Barrels. Super nice guys, they stay in contact thru out the built and never act like i am asking a stupid question (cause i do ask alot) I have shot 2 of the Benchmark barrels in Alaska last year. Both were in 300wsm, and both were shooting factory ammo, and both were shooting well under 3/4" and touching 1/2" (did i mention factory ammo) Winchester supreme 180gr. While i was there our "guide" friend was shooting a 6.5 SUAM built by Center Shot Rifles with a Brux barrel. It was also SUPER accurate. I am pretty new to this also but my Advise would be to look at some of the sponsors and get on the phone and talk to them and see who you like.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Gold Member

What are you wanting to do with the gun ie purpose. With that m-40 barrel it is going to be heavy! And where are you located? I have had great feedback from kevin cram at montour country rifles. I ended up using a local smith that is a sponser here as well but if I was mailing the work out I would have used Kevin.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

The rifle will mostly be for hunting deer and a little larger game and target shooting. Almost all of the hunting down here in south Texas is done in blinds so weight isn't much of a consideration. I live in south Texas but I can ship to where ever.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Gold Member

I would think a sendero contour would be adequete and save more than a pound of weight but to each his owm, the M-40 contour will shoot great Im sure. I dont know the specifics of taking a standard bolt face and openeing it up to the magnum bolt face either but that would have to be done. I think the 300 wsm is a good choice (I have one) but if nothing larger than deer and with target shooting I like the the 7 wsm with the 270 wsm being a good choice as well. Keeping in the standard boltface the 308, 260, 260 AI, 6.5x47 lapua are great choices and would serve you well also. Email Kevin Cram he is full of good knowledge and willing to share it. I believe he also guarantees his biuld to hold 1/2 MOA @ 100 yards as well
Old 05-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

@ pyro- Thank you for your input. I wasn't aware that the bolt would have to be worked on to convert to a 300 wsm. This is the type of valuable information I was hoping to get from this forum. I know that if you ask 100 people what they would do you will get 100 different answers. This will be my first ( and possible last) 100% custom build and I want to make sure I get as much information from as many knowledgeable people so I only have to do it once!. I am a natural lefty but I've been shooting right handed since I was a boy due to not having any good rifles in left hand configuration. Now that I can do this I want a left handed rifle build for me. I was thinking about the 6.5X47 lapua but I am not too sure about its suitability for hunting large game and I heard that the round is super hot and it needs barrel replacement sooner that most other cartridges.
What has anyone heard about this?
Also I will be using factory ammo. I have been using federal gold match 168gn and my 308 loves it.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Gold Member

The 6.5x47 lapua isnt a barrel burner as far as I know of, I have no expierence with this round but I think you will find a consensus that shooting a barrel hot affects it accuracy barrel life more than the round. I dont know how difficult it is to open the face or even just get a different bolt like from PT&G with a magnum face, these are things to talk about with your smith. With not reloading and if you were to keep your standard both face and short action I would say the 260 rem, I dont know the availability of the 6.5x47 lapua factory ammo. I think the best advice I can give you is call or email kevim cram. He has far more knowledge and can build you a great rifle. Montour County Rifles