Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Winchester M70 ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: Winchester M70 ???

Storm,

I called the few smiths we have here in Okla. and the price is $400 - $450 regardless of the action type. I was going to send you a PM and ask what smith you were using. Like I said earlier, the M70 is not mine, sorry. But he is set on not selling it. He is going to have it worked. I sent him a copy of your post and without a doubt, we were both impressed. Which is another reason I was wanting to get ahold of you to find out what smith you would recommend. One smith we talked to today seemed a bit hesitant when talking about the M70 action.

As far as smith's, we are very limited unless you know a independent here in Okla. I have heard there are several good "Private" gun smiths in Oklahoma but they only advertise by word of mouth and I do not know who they are. The ones that are heavily publicized are high... No doubt! But it is like anything else in which you have the corner on the market you can pretty much charge what you want and the majority of people will pay because they feel they have no other options. I figured it was possible to work this action into a great shooter just as you and Nimrod stated. Now the problem comes in finding a qualified smith to do the work at an affordable price.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surgeon View Post
Storm,

I called the few smiths we have here in Okla. and the price is $400 - $450 regardless of the action type. I was going to send you a PM and ask what smith you were using. Like I said earlier, the M70 is not mine, sorry. But he is set on not selling it. He is going to have it worked. I sent him a copy of your post and without a doubt, we were both impressed. Which is another reason I was wanting to get ahold of you to find out what smith you would recommend. One smith we talked to today seemed a bit hesitant when talking about the M70 action.

As far as smith's, we are very limited unless you know a independent here in Okla. I have heard there are several good "Private" gun smiths in Oklahoma but they only advertise by word of mouth and I do not know who they are. The ones that are heavily publicized are high... No doubt! But it is like anything else in which you have the corner on the market you can pretty much charge what you want and the majority of people will pay because they feel they have no other options. I figured it was possible to work this action into a great shooter just as you and Nimrod stated. Now the problem comes in finding a qualified smith to do the work at an affordable price.
I can't help you as far as a smith goes in OK. I use Kevin Weaver here in Colorado. He builds and ships all over the US. He's one heck of a smith and great guy and will treat you fairly. He loves M70's, he charges $200 to true up a action.

Weaver Rifles Web

Jon
Old 02-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I am sure the Barnard's are a good action, problem with them are that they are not inside the U.S. I agree for $250 for the gun,, $500 to true it up, and your sitting at around $800 with tax and all and then he would have to buy the bottom metal. By then he will be around a grand. For a couple hundred dollars more he could have a complete Surgeon action w/bottom metal, which is in our home state, but it is his gun. What I can tell you is that the money will stay in the U.S. and not go over seas to support some other economy.
I know a guy in Texas that bought two just recently but I think he had them sent over from NZ. However they do have a distributor in the US Link : MT Guns
Surgeon was my first thought but I thought he was trying to do it as cheap as possible so I said Barnard , but as you say it may be just cheaper in the long run to buy at home as there is only a few hundred in it and it can be soaked up in shipping costs .
The Mod 70 is great action but why bother with all the extra smithing that could be done wrong . If a precision gun is the aim then start with a precision action.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM

I JUST CONTACTED ONE OF THE TOP PERCISION GUNSMITHS HERE IN CANADA =TOLD HIM THAT I WOULD LIKE TO GET MY EXISTING MOD 70 ACTION WORKED OVER =HE TOLD ME WHAT FOR ! IF IT WAS A STOCK REM THAN WILL DO IT ! BECAUSE REM FINISH THEIR PRODUCTS WITH HEAT TREATING WHICH WARPS THE BOLT FACE =WHINCHESTER ACTIONS DON'T NEED TO BE SQUARED DUE TO THERE DIFFERENT PROCESS-SO WITH MY WIN HE SAYS - NEED A TRIGGER JOB -BED THE ACTION -RECROWN THE BARREL=THEN SEE HOW IT SHOOTS ! THEN WE TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL AND REBARREL IT ! I WAS TOLD TRIGGER -BEDDING-BARREL... LIKE SOME ONE ELSE MENTIONED THERE'S NO REAL NEED TO WORK OVER A WIN ACTION ! tHIS SMITH HAS BUILT SEVERAL WORLD RECORD RIGS SOO I'M GOING WITH HIS EXPERIENCE !
Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Storm,

HOLY COW MAN!
"shortgrass" right here on LRH!!! He owns Teds Custom Shop, in Weatheford Ok. & is a former LRH Sponsor. His reference list is extensive, I know cause I checked, & made a lot of inquiries, & phonecalls to previous customers, on my own, not from a reference list. He's top notch from every person I contacted.
That is why he is currently doing my long action, 300WSM, push feed Model-70 build. PM me for his phone #, or just visit his website. Great guy to work with. Very patient, & knowledgeable.

Win Model-70's are an excellent platform to build on.
Rem-700's are good platforms too, but I like the safety, & integral Recoil lugg of the Model-70 better. It's just a personal preference thing. Both have TONS if aftermarket support. For the price, your buddy is gettin a SMOKIN DEAL! I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin B View Post
The most accurate rifle I have ever owned was a Winchester model 70 push feed post-64 Varmint in .243 Winchester. It would shoot dime-sized groups at 200 meters with Hornady 75 gr. hollow points all day long

Was it a Winchester 70 Heavy Varmint model with a blued action and Stainless barrel by chance? I have one that'll do the same. Last time I had it to the range, I was aiming high, low, left and right within the 1" center trying to cut it out like an arcade game. The bullets didn't print outside the center circle.

I have not had a Winchester 70 that wouldn't shoot under MOA at 100yds; claw or push feed. Picked up my first Remington 700 recently and hoping it will deliver as much accuracy as my Winchesters have.

Finding the right gunsmith is the trick. Seems like anyone will work on Rem 700's. I'm debating a custom barrel/cartridge combo on a Ruger #1 action.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Silver Member

No, this was a factory post-64 Winchester Varmint model 70. It had a heavy, 26" blued barrel. It had a ding in the back of the receiver. I paid $175.00 back in 1980 for it.