Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Winchester or Browning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2004, 02:56 PM

Winchester or Browning?

I want to buy 300 WSM. I cannot decide, the Browning A-Bolt Stalker Stainless or the Winchester Model 70 Ultamite Shadow Stainless. What do you have and how have they been for you or do have any other suggestions. I'll be using it for hunting only. Moose, Deer, Goat, Sheep, and grizz.
Looking to shoot around 200 gr. Nosler partitions.
Happy Hunting!
Old 02-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Winchester or Browning?

Hello, for what its worth I like the Browning a little better,their both fine guns in my opinion, but I have had two Brownings now mainly becouse it has the features I look for.

I like the box magazine and the tang safety,it seems to be a little easier to find when your in a hurry and allows me to stay in a shooting stance without looking for my safety.

Ive been shooting the A bolt for about 14 years now and it has never let me down.
Ive taken somewere around 25 animals with it and its allways done its job!

I recently purchased a second one and look forward to hunting with it as well! I think if you choose the one that fits you best and appeals to you you cant go wrong!

Let me know what you think about the short magnum! Im still thinking about trying one out!

Oregonhunter
Old 02-21-2004, 02:19 PM

Re: Winchester or Browning?

I ended up buying a winchester model 70 ss in 300 wsm. Got it for hunting anything from deer to elk.
Before I got it I asked around and on which brand to go with and got a lot of negative responses to the Browning A-bolts in the 300wsm. A lot of the people sold theirs and went with the mod. 70. I never shot the Browning's so I have no first hand experience with them but I heard enough negative responses for me to stay away.
I've never heard of the ultimate shadow but I do know of the black shadow's that winchester makes. I looked at them and felt they weren't nearly as good as the Model 70 ss. My only complaint of mine is the cheap synthetic stock that it came with. I would either get the laminate stock or plan on replacing it.
Hope that is of some help. If you go to gunbroker and do a search on 300 wsm you'll find a lot of info on them.