Re: Will my M-77 be good enough?
The straight 338 Win mag in a factory configuration is not a longrange round because;
1. The round is not large enough to shoot the higher BC bulets needed to reach out and at the speed that is needed for the LR shot.
2. Factory barrels are usually no longer then 22" to 24" and you just can't get the velocity to reach out further and with addiditon velocity that the longer barrels do.
3. Now it depends on what you call Longrange?
If your shot is 100, 200, 300 yards you would be OK.
4. Check all the ballistic charts to see what your velocity is and figure your drop from there. You can then see what your bullet is capable of at extended range.
5. To me, a 300 yard shot would be about it, with that outfit. On the total outside with a good clickable scope and a hot load and decent bullet, a 500 yd shot is possible but, I wouldn't want to attempt it very often on a large animal such as elk.
6. Do you handload for your 338? If factory ammo is what you use, stay at a 300 yd max at all times.