Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Why are the Tikka's lacking aftermarket support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why are the Tikka's lacking aftermarket support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_freeman View Post
Judging from other reports I believe the only difference between hunter and T3 Lite is the stock, additionally I have never heard a report of any Tikka T3's (Varmint / Tactical) being bedded.
wow not bad for a rifle design that doesn't require $800.00 in aftermarket parts and tuning to shoot fair at a fair distance. I have T3 Lite in 7mm-08 shooting about 1.25" groups at 100 yards with the cheapest winchester silver box. Sometimes I get an occasional clover leaf. I am very anxious to learn handloading and see if I can get it to shoot 1/2 at 100. Lot a guys say they are doing it, just find the sweet spot and learn to shoot. If I can learn to shoot well and get it tuned it's a realistic 500 yard hunter / shooter I figure thats a good milestone for a beginner.
You have a great rifle. Learning to handload will bring much enjoyment and better accuracy for less $ too. You have a great plan and modest long range with practice builds confidence, and skill. You'll do well. Good Luck.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Tikka's don't have much aftermarket upgrades because there's not much to do. It comes with a removable magazine, nice easy adjustable trigger, rings, sako style extractor, smooth action and an accuracy guarantee. The only thing that I could recommend is some more stout rings if you're shooting a magnum. My friend has a 300wsm T3 lite and the scope has moved around with the factory rings. Also, a raised comb would help if you have a larger scope...

Here's a write up I did awhile back that shows the T3 in detail.
Enjoy...

tikka T-3 vs M595 detail views & changes shown
Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

There is not much demand for this platform---why develop aftermarket products for little or no ROI?
Old 06-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Bronze Member

Don't have an answer to your question. But I have been shooting a T-3 Tactical in 308 since August of 2008. It is a wonderful factory rifle and capable of sub-moa. Other than trigger work and stock modification not much is is needed. I used it as a entry level rig to long range shooting and as my main hunting rifle. Now that my custom rig is just about finished it will serve as a back up. But I will always have my T-3.