Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Why supersonic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullijr View Post
If you have watched any of the manned space flights on tv they have talked about max Q which is a time during liftoff when communication is lost and the vehicle is submitted to buffeting,I believe that this is when the speed is passing through the "sound barrier" or going supersonic.This max Q also happens when it slows down.A bullet is also subjected to this buffeting, thus a possible loss of accuracy if the bullet is subsonic when reaching the intended target.
I always thought that was coming back into the atmophsere everything not shielded and hanging out was burned off and new antannas were deployed after that would not happen
Norm
Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Max Q has little to nothing to do with breaking the sound barrier , the shuttle is moving over 1,000 MPH less than a min after take off , at 7 min its at nearly 17,000 MPH.

I have seen planes break the sound barrier many times at low level over the Gulf of Mexico and not once have I ever seen the so called "barrier" that is supposed to surround the plane like is seen is some of the internet chain E-mails nor have I everheard a plane break the sound barrier when it slows back down to less than the speed of sound.

I honestly can't see a bullet flying along and the instant it goes transonic totaly destayabilizing like it was kicked in the butt. Again I'll bring up the point of bullet shape and its needed RPM to stabilize it. For instance lets shoot a 115gr Berger VLD out of a 30" , 1-14 twist barrel at a speed of 3300 fps at 200 yds it still going to be well inexcess of 3000 fps yet the bullets will be so destabilized that they will hit the target sideways , now the Berger 115 has a very high BC and is a remarkablely long bullet but it requires a very fast twist rate , but if you spin this bullet at the required RPM's and it will shoot accurately even as it falls below the speed of sound.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

The space shuttle does make a sonic boom when it returns to earth. I have heard it in Florida. But what that has to do with bullet flight going subsonic I have no idea.