Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Why not Weatherby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Why not Weatherby

Why not Weatherby rifles.. I hear and read a lot about shooters using Weatherby caliber cartridges but no Weatherby rifles.. I handled an Mark V Accumark today and it seemed put together very well, and the price sure reflected it...

Someone help me... Why not Weatherby?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Why not Weatherby

If you have the money go for it. Great rifles i own ( 14 ) mark v and accumarks.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Other than budget and personal preference there is no "why not".

Weatherby makes fine rifles. I'm not a fan of the weatherby calibers though because it can be extremely difficult to find ammunition for a lot of them when you are off on a long trip somewhere and happen to get separated from your own ammo.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Dupe.

Last edited by WildRose; 12-13-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Probably the biggest reason, at least on this forum, is that there aren't a whole lot of smiths that work on them, and most guys doing the LR gig are going to want work done. Having said that, for a factory gun they are nice.

The Vanguard line is a Howa action and barrel with an upgraded stock. Howa's are probably the best bang for the buck IMO in a factory gun. I have had a few 1/2 MOA shooters straight from the factory, some even better. The problem for many guys looking at Weatherby is that the Howa can be had for much cheaper and if you plan to do a stock upgrade or spend the money to bed/float it why spend the extra money for a Weatherby.

The Mark V's are very nice and very tough actions. But they aren't perfect out of the box and often need some work to get the real tight groups desired for the LR game. If you are going to start spending that kind of money the semi customs like Cooper and even a full custom gun starts competing much more.

Also, there are very few heavy barreled versions in any line which keeps them from being pure LR rigs.

My take anyway.

Scot E.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
The problem for many guys looking at Weatherby is that the Howa can be had for much cheaper and if you plan to do a stock upgrade or spend the money to bed/float it why spend the extra money for a Weatherby.

My take anyway.

Scot E.
I have never found that to be true.

Cruise around Gunbroker comparing Vanguards to Howas in the same caliber. The Howa rifle is almost always more expensive. There is only one seller I find that regularly has them less expensive. Why is the Howa more money? I don't know. But I have found this to be consistent.

In addition the Howa rifle is limited to a 22 inch barrel while the Vanguard has a 24.

Otherwise they are essentially the same rifle.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
I have never found that to be true.

Cruise around Gunbroker comparing Vanguards to Howas in the same caliber. The Howa rifle is almost always more expensive. There is only one seller I find that regularly has them less expensive. Why is the Howa more money? I don't know. But I have found this to be consistent.

In addition the Howa rifle is limited to a 22 inch barrel while the Vanguard has a 24.

Otherwise they are essentially the same rifle.
Interesting. I have never bought a rifle online but always at local dealers. That shouldn't make a difference but I am not sure what the difference would be.

Scot E.