Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

where do i start this thing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 04:41 PM

Re: where do i start this thing?

thank you thats what i thought are vortex scopes any account or does it have to be ,us optics,leupold ,nightforce ,etc ... and what kind of mount ,rings are good
Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Gold Member

In your case where money is tight I would look for a good piece of used glass leupold being the probable best buy. However, Vortex makes some good stuff as well as Nikon and probably a couple others. A Remington Sendero would be a great rifle to get you started and might just be all you ever need. Reloading is expensive to start from scratch so you'll have to save for a bit but in the meantime you could have a great shooting rifle to practice with. In my case I have a rifle that will get me by for now. I'm in the process of acquiring all my reloading equipment. Once I get the reloading up and running I'll have a full custom built. Best of luck!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM

thank you for the info ,i do have a friend that has a rcbs and shoots 300 win mag i guess ill go for the better scope for now and just bug him when i start reloading thanks again mark.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem700 View Post
Budget and McMillan don't belong in the same sentence together.
Sad, but true... .

There's a real nice sendero 300wm for sale in the LRH Classifieds now, and several other's that would be a great way for anyone on a budget to get off to a good start.

Sticking with common factory rounds like the 300wm, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW and 300 RUM are also good ways to go for the guy on a budget since both factory ammo and components are easy to come by.

As for the McMillan, well one can start with whatever factory stock you have and over time as budget allows go for the really good stuff one item at a time.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark10 View Post
thank you for the info ,i do have a friend that has a rcbs and shoots 300 win mag i guess ill go for the better scope for now and just bug him when i start reloading thanks again mark.
Here's a good thread on how to get started on a budget.

For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars...