Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What's your opinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 PM

What's your opinion?

I want to get into long range shooting, and possibly hunting also. I am looking for some advice on what caliber to go with, and some rifle suggestions. Iím not rich but I am willing to spend some bucks to get nice rig. Some of my concerns are price per round, I want to be able to shoot it without taking out a loan, and recoil, I want a lot! Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What's your opinion?

Based on the little info you gave about what you want the rifle for. I would say get a 338 ultra mag and shoot 300g bullets. By all means do not put a brake on it.

Steve

PS
Make it a sporter weight.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Bronze Member

As far as recoil goes, keep the rifle and scope light and don't put a brake on it and even a 7mm RM or a 300wm can kick like a mule.
How far do you want to shoot, what is your budget, and do you handload?
If you don't handload and want to shoot lots of factory loads cheap, then get a .308 or even cheaper a .223. Better to go with the .308 if you plan on hunting. 30-06 is pretty cheap to shoot too.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

I would think about something like a Savage Long Range Precision in 260 Rem. extremely accurate, low recoil, easy to load and low cost. Good on deer sized game to 700 yards and targets to +1000. It won't take long to look like a pro. Lots to learn, keep it simple. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjpete View Post
I want to get into long range shooting, and possibly hunting also. I am looking for some advice on what caliber to go with, and some rifle suggestions. Iím not rich but I am willing to spend some bucks to get nice rig. Some of my concerns are price per round, I want to be able to shoot it without taking out a loan, and recoil, I want a lot! Thanks in advance for the advice.
Ok,
First lets get some more info, so we can more accurately give advise.
1: what animal/animals do you intend to hunt? Gophers? Griz? All?
& to what distance do you want to be able to take said game?
2: how far is "long range" to you currently, & do you have the places, & time to practice for extending your comfort zone?
3: do you currently handload, or do you intend to?
- do you intend to shoot competition?
4: are you on a budget? & how tight?
Do you intend to customize, & upgrade as you grow, or are you looking more at a semi custom, full custom right off the bat?
Re-piping a used Win, or Rem action is very comparable price wise to a new in box rifle sometimes, & is almost always a better way to go if you don't like risking getting a shooter or not with factory options.

Once we get a couple of these questions answered, we can more accurately give advise.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Gold Member

um...why would someone WANT a lot of recoil? I mean, wanting the power the cartridge produces is one thing, but wanting recoil?

anyway, if on a budget, why not go with something like a .308 or .260? I know they don't have "a lot" of recoil, but they are great rounds for starting out. I'm shooting a .308, but plan on making a switch barrel with a 300WSM for added power
Old 03-31-2012, 12:56 AM
Silver Member

I believe the Lot Of Recoil is just poor sentence syntax... He does not want to have to pay a lot per round, he does not want a lot of recoil... he wants a lot of things ! Kind of he wants his cake and wants to eat it as well.

Ok, Get a good old 308! Ammo galore, it will reach 1k yards, and not a whole lot of recoil either. Great place to start out. Howa makes a good one, Savage does too, Winchester, and Remington of course.

Word to the wise, spend more on the scope than the rifle. Nightforce, Super Sniper, Bushnel HDMR, Vortex, these all make good scopes. Nightforce is expensive but they are also tough as nails and will not let you down.

Good shooting
Gary