Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What youth rifle for my son?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What youth rifle for my son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburton View Post
That is my present plan to get of full sized rifle and putting a youth stock on it. I think that I am going to end up getting a .243. But, the plans changed a little since I originally posted this. My 16 y.o. daughter decided she wants to take up hunting and shooting now. So now I need two rifles. She is a lefty. Couldn't make it easy. So with budget constraints I have not bought either. I have looked at several options. Taken both of them to gun stores to handle different rifles. My son doesn't care what rifle it is. He just wants one. My daughter on the other hand seems to be kind of picky. She wants the stock to be pink and black camo. She doesn't care what rifle it is as long as it looks pretty. Ha ha! I guess we will just keep looking.
I have 5 daughters. enjoy.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

I built two .243s for my Daughters with a BROGHTEN barrels, I got with an old friend who is a gunsmith ,he had two nice stocks, I had him cut down two inches on the end and they love them.
Only one(the oldest) filled her tag with a nice Doe. they love my .223 most, they know its not for Deer. They were built on Remington actions. Both have 2x7x32 Burris scopes that are about 15 years old. This would be the first choice for any kid. once they grow older you can get another stock. very accurate out to 300 yards.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

I concur with the TC Encore. My son, eight years old, shot three whitetails last year with his. He shot them all using the 45/209 muzzleloader barrel. I also have a 223 heavy barrel and a 7mm-08 barrel. Without a brake the 7mm-08 has too much recoil in my opinion.

He loves the muzzleloader barrel. It shoots well, recoil is light and under 100 yards it is a real killer. All three of his shots were between 75-100 yards and it performed great.

The componets are not cheap but are easily resold as well. Much cheaper than playing mix and match with bolt action parts. I'm seriously considering a 44mag barrel for him as well. It should match the muzzloader barrel ballistics and give him some more range time.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Silver Member

Okay, I just read every post/reply to this thread. I have a 10 year old that will hunt for the first time this season. I have a 25-06 browning abolt that I would like for him to use. My plan is a youth model stock and leave everything else as is. Anyone end up doing this?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

I ended up going with a TC Encore in .243. It is still a bit long for him but he shoots it really well. Shot his first hog with it a couple of months ago. I tried a friends 25-06 that he had cut down. The recoil was still a little much for my son. But he is a little guy.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What youth rifle for my son?-image.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 07:06 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Another T/C follower is born.
I envy you.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter84 View Post
i would definitely take a look at the ruger compact. me and my wife both have one in 243 and we both absolutely love them.

I agree with the Ruger. I bought my Son one in 308 with the digital camo that he just had to have. Took it out along with a Remington SPS Tactical and guess what the Ruger outshot the Remmy by a wide margin. I believe Ruger has finally got it right with the v block bedding system.