Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What youth rifle for my son?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: What youth rifle for my son?

My 260 has a 25" barrel and my grand son's has a 23" barrel. Can't speak to how much recoil or muzzle blast the 20" barrel will deliver compared to the longer ones. . That is an aspect that will need to be considered. Interesting point. Will be intersted in seeing what those who have used the shorter barrels have to say on this.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Some good options on the table. Here's another one... Vanguard youth.

Vanguard® Series 2 Synthetic Youth | Weatherby.com

I would pick the 7-08. When he grows out of it, sell it and fix him up with something else, or get it a B&C medalist for it and re barrel.

Mark
Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Bronze Member

I have the same questions about my 12 year old daughter. A youth model fits her without having to modify the stock. I reload so that is not a problem to reduce recoil for target shooting. I have her shooting a muzzle loader with light loads all summer at the range then I load it up for hunting season ( of course I don't tell her that). I would look at what you are going to be hunting and what ammo is readily available. I know you said deer but what about elk? Here the .243 is the minimum legal caliber for elk but I do not want to have her hunting elk with it. I am going to get her a 7-08 for antelope, deer and elk. I would really like to get her the 6.5X284 Norma but wonder if it will take off and become popular enough to have longevity.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Bronze Member

I went to the shooting range a few days ago and next to me was a couple shooting a rifle. The wife looked to be about 120lbs (nice body ) and she was shooting a 7mm-08. When she fired the rifle it looked like she was shooting a 300 magnum. I would suggest getting him a 243.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Bronze Member

Well i started my daighter out with a 44mag lever gun, shooting 44 specials all summer. She shot a nice fat 4X4 white tail. Her picture is in the bottom of all my posts. She turned 12 this year and i bought her a Howa 1500 243. It came with the youth and adult stock and honestly I was impressed with its out of the box accuracy. The trigger kind of sucked but i fixed that it is a crisp 3 lbs. I know i want her to grow with it but i also know that here the minimum caliber for elk starts at .25. I have a couple of 25-06's one feather weight she could use if i take her before she gets to grown up.

I know u like the 7mm 08 but i had my older daughter shoot one in a youth when she was younger and it kicked the crap out of her. i mean if u reloaded now u could load some lower power rounds. I will tell u this at a decent range with quality bullets the 243 will whack a mulie no sweat.

Just my 2 cents
Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257WTBY View Post
Well i started my daighter out with a 44mag lever gun, shooting 44 specials all summer. She shot a nice fat 4X4 white tail. Her picture is in the bottom of all my posts. She turned 12 this year and i bought her a Howa 1500 243. It came with the youth and adult stock and honestly I was impressed with its out of the box accuracy. The trigger kind of sucked but i fixed that it is a crisp 3 lbs. I know i want her to grow with it but i also know that here the minimum caliber for elk starts at .25. I have a couple of 25-06's one feather weight she could use if i take her before she gets to grown up.

I know u like the 7mm 08 but i had my older daughter shoot one in a youth when she was younger and it kicked the crap out of her. i mean if u reloaded now u could load some lower power rounds. I will tell u this at a decent range with quality bullets the 243 will whack a mulie no sweat.

Just my 2 cents
Why do we put muzzle brakes on or guns and not our wives/kids? Whatever I bought over a 243 it would have a brake. Heck a light enuf 243 will kick ya in the teeth.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257WTBY View Post

Just my 2 cents
Factory loads are gonna be a bit on the warm side. If you load up 120 gr bullets over a mild charge of powder, it wouldn't be any more than a 243. In fact a 243 is a necked down 7-08. Also the Vanguard has an excellent trigger and the youth stock has a very forgiving recoil pad. If it was me, i would probably get the regular Vanguard with 24" barrel vs the 20" youth barrel for more weight and replace the stock with the youth stock. That would be a rifle that a kid could grow into and the load could be progressively increased as he/she got bigger.