Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What youth rifle for my son?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: What youth rifle for my son?

I do not hand load yet. One of those things on the list to do for a couple of years now. I don't know much about the .260 but I will do some research. I have heard a lot of people rave about that round.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

According to the post time stamp on our 2 post you posted at the same time that I did.

Seems to me tweeking the sweed for him would make him a perfect rifle. You can hand load it down a bit to begin with and load it up later on creating an excellent caliber for him to use now and on out till he has kids of his own starting to hunt. Of course he will likely add another caliber or two in between. Many people on the webb sites talk about the Scandinavians using the 6 x 55 Swede for Moose. As I understand it it is a 260 "on a mild dose of steroids". Hand loading allows you to make the Swede a very versatile cartridge. I have not owned a Swede but I have a 260 and my 10 year old grand son has one. He has killed 6 out of 7 deer that he shot at with his in the last 2 years. He has handled it with no problems and he isn't a large frame individual. I considered a Swede when I was studying different calibers 6 years ago and almost went with it instead of the 260. I concluded the 260 provided as much performance as I needed for my uses. Hopefully some who have owned both and used both will add to this for you.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

I am not convinced that this 6.5x55 is the right starter rifle for my son. I just had him hold it and try to work the bolt. It is still to long for him. He is having to reach for the trigger and cannot work the bolt. Although I have a hard time working this bolt smoothly. Father in law swears its a mauser action, I have never seen one like it. The bolt is super stiff. Father in law told me he had it built about 30 years ago. The action is nothing like I have ever seen. I will try to post some pics in a little while so you can see what I am talking about. Wish I knew more about this stuff to explain it.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Here is a picture of the action. Is it a mauser or not?
What youth rifle for my son?-6.5x55-004.jpg
Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
I've been looking at the Ruger compacts for the same reasons. Length of pull listed at 12 & 3/4"overall length I think is 35". I don't think they make the 260 anymore, but I've got my eye on a used one. If it's there at tax return time I think temptation may get the better of me.
Keep in mind they are small and light with a 16"barrel which equals to a lot of muzzle blast and jump, recoil also is higher. They are pretty vicious in that department.

I wouldn't recommend them unless you want to do a little work and reload as the .243 I got my daughter last year was a pain to get to shoot under 3" at 100yds. Pillar and glass bedded, Timney trigger with the right load turned it into a very acurate gun. It shoots better off a bi-pod than bags, I figure it's the extra weight. It still won't shoot factory ammo.

They are however one of the cutest and smallest rifles you'll ever see. I just want to make a key chain out of it.

11 1/2" LOP and you'll have to cut as youth rifles usually start at 12" on up.

The next youth rifle I get will be an AR10.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbach View Post
Keep in mind they are small and light with a 16"barrel which equals to a lot of muzzle blast and jump, recoil also is higher. They are pretty vicious in that department.

I wouldn't recommend them unless you want to do a little work and reload as the .243 I got my daughter last year was a pain to get to shoot under 3" at 100yds. Pillar and glass bedded, Timney trigger with the right load turned it into a very acurate gun. It shoots better off a bi-pod than bags, I figure it's the extra weight. It still won't shoot factory ammo.

They are however one of the cutest and smallest rifles you'll ever see. I just want to make a key chain out of it.

11 1/2" LOP and you'll have to cut as youth rifles usually start at 12" on up.

The next youth rifle I get will be an AR10.
Good thoughts, I suspected muzzle blast would be up, and treating like a muzzle break would work out. I've got a lightweight 6mm, and didn't think recoil would be up that much. Thanks for the first hand feedback. Better a key chain than an decoy anchor I suspect. LOL
Old 12-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Good thoughts, I suspected muzzle blast would be up, and treating like a muzzle break would work out. I've got a lightweight 6mm, and didn't think recoil would be up that much. Thanks for the first hand feedback. Better a key chain than an decoy anchor I suspect. LOL
There was a few times it almost became an expensive target stand. I thought about a muzzle break but I didn't want to mess with it since it's shooting good and the kids will still shoot it.