Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What it takes to get to 800 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What it takes to get to 800 yards

Never had any issues shooting copper clad steel, not going to harm the barrel any. I worry more about powder erosion, the steel jackets are softer than barrel steel, and most that I have managed to recover, you couldn't tell they were steel.

Last edited by AKBman; 12-20-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBman View Post
Never had any issues shooting copper clad steel, not going to harm the barrel any. I worry more about powder erosion, the steel jackets are softer than barrel swteel, and most that I have managed to recover, you couldn't tell they were steel.
True on all counts. Also the copper become essentially a buffer and lubricant. If one is worried treat them with moly or other bullet lube before shooting.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

AKBman & WildRose

While I highly value your opinions, and I truly do, I ain't runnin' no steel bullets down my bore or puttin' no sweet pickles on my peanut butter sandwich!

Can't wrap my head around that - no way!

But you do as you please.

KB
Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Bronze Member

Absolutely KB! No offense intended, just letting folks know what my experiences have been. Way back, I had hear that the steel jacketed ammo i was shooting from my '06 would wear out the barrel, this stuff was WWII surplus I believe, but after 500 rounds, I never noticed a decrease in accuracy, nor any damage to the bore. The old stuff wasn't even copper clad, the Hornady has a thick copper clad, so I have even less worry, and at $19/50, I couldn't pass. We all have to shoot what we are comfortable with, and I will find no fault with your choice.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:29 PM

I bought a small/$10 bottle from this older couple at the Del Mar gun show this past weekend - after they twirled the cylinder in their old Colt? revolver. The website is: What is Microlon? for John F. Staudt .

They said you first clean the barrel - and my Mossberg is pretty clean - only about 10 shots thru it - and on sale - for about $300 - I also just bought a little 22" .308 Savage Axis XP - with a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope - good for sighting in - to beat the more detailed long gun registering that starts after the first of the year. I also bought a 12 gauge Remington pump 870 - for about $260 - on sale plus a $30 rebate. I had $600 in the budget for a semi-auto Beretta A300 Outlander - but couldn't resist getting two guns for that price.

Anywho - you then apply the Microlon to the clean barrel/swab it lightly - and fire a round - and repeat for about 10 to 12 rounds (20 rounds for Stainless Steel) - and they say it leaves a very thin coat in the barrel which help keeps it from getting dirty - and also - makes it smoother for the bullet to travel down the barrel/faster and you don't have to oil the barrel again? Guess you don't have to apply Microlon again - and the directions also say you can apply it to the moving parts (bolt included and pump guides on a shot - and while wet - work the action until it's absorbed and then dry with a hair dryer.

The box says it won the coveted "Medaille de Vermeil" at the Salon International Des Inventions de Geneve - in Geneva, Switzerland. And the FAA accepted the their CL-100 Aircraft Formulation in May of '79.

Haven't had the huevos to use it yet and will keep on checking it out.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

Microlon is a nano particle lubricity agent suspended in a liquid carrier. Don't remember if it's Teflon or Moly. They all work by embedding a solid lubricant into the steel pores.

Only drawbacks are inconsistent application and they are scrubbed out after time. they work very well on actions and such because there's no absolute consistency required. But barrels have to be the same shot after shot. Moly-coated bullets work because another Moly bullet is headed down the barrel to replace what just rubbed off. Even Moly-coated bullets fail to work in some bores. Some people swear by them. See the threads on Melonite barrel coatings. That works for sure. Good buys on the guns.

Have you thought of moving from the People's Republic of California? Not a lot of 800 yard shots there anymore....

KB
Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
AKBman & WildRose

While I highly value your opinions, and I truly do, I ain't runnin' no steel bullets down my bore or puttin' no sweet pickles on my peanut butter sandwich!

Can't wrap my head around that - no way!

But you do as you please.

KB
None tke, and I'm not either. However if I had to, I would not worry about those with the heavy copper plating over the steel. The lans and grooves will never get past that copper. Your only problem with them would be lower BC and expansion issues along with copper fouling.

I have shot a lot of steel core ammo in pistols and while in the service and never had any of it do any harm and they were all copper and/or lead over steel.