Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What it takes to get to 800 yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 AM
Bronze Member

What it takes to get to 800 yards

I am shooting a Ruger M77MKII in 300 Win Mag. It wears a Leupold VX III 2.5-8x36 scope (wanted the low end for wading into the alders when I lived in AK). Right now with handloads of 180, 200, and 208 grain bullets, it shoots right around 5/8-3/4" at 200 yards. While the trigger isn't the cleanest breaking trigger I have shot, I have worked with it and it breaks pretty decent at 2#. Wondering what it would take to double my comfortable range with this rifle? Right now I am confident out to 400 yards. Everything sits in one of Ruger's boat paddle stocks, I haven't made any changes other than some polishing and working with the trigger since I bought the rifle in 1999, still shoots pretty much the same size groups as it did new. I am on a limited budget, but I am curious. The 300 Win Mag is just about my favorite cartridge, followed by the 375 Ruger.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What it takes to get to 800 yards

Very recently one of my buddies wanted to do almost exactly what you are looking to do from about the same level you are at. He did not want to radically change his rifle. Without going into great detail, he got there by adding the following to his current capabilities:

Refined his existing hand loads using high BC, heavy bullets. His rifle shot 200 gr Accubonds well. Loads were refined to shoot .5MOA(1") at 200 yards with an ES of less ten 12FPS. Checked to make sure his rifle held it's zero.

Upgraded his scope to a 5x20 Huskemaw(lots of good choices out there) with a Holland scope level. Mounted it perfectly plum and checked the turret accuracy to 20MOA using a tall target test. He used turrets, but whether it was turrets or a calibrated reticle, he needed to have more precise adjustments for LR shots.

Acquired and learned to be proficient using the Shooter Ballistic app and a Kestral wind/conditions meter to determine elevation and wind holds at longer ranges.

Bought a bipod for his rifle. He couldn't always use it for his hunting shots, but it really helped him understand the need for a secure rest from any shooting position when extending his range.

After shooting practice, understanding how to apply the Shooter app, and understanding his wind reads using a Kestral wind gauge, he was hitting regularly at 600-800 yards. Now he is hooked and building a LR rig.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Bronze Member

Thank You! I am primarily a elk, deer, and Oryx Hunter in a lot of open country. I have a lot of 180gr bullets, but really would like to stick with the 200+ grain variety. Right now Hornady and Sierra bullets give me my best groups. I really appreciate the input. Funny you mentioned the weather station, I have really been looking at just how much the wind moves a bullet at given velocities and altitudes. I hunt from 4000-10000 feet and target shoot at 4350 and 5700 feet, amazed at the effects of altitude.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

I am/was in the same boat. Comfortable to 5-600, but someday my goal is to kill an animal at 1000yds. If I could pick one piece of equipment that I can say made me a better shot, it was a trigger. My factory trigger was fine, but once I put a Jewell in, I won't go back. It instantly helped some of my grouping.

I am not a fan of atributing equipment to accuracy. I have shot a lot of target archery and know that equipment has little effect and practice is the most important, but this is the only equipment recommendation I would make.

Otherwise, he hit the nail on the head. All that stuff will make the biggest difference. Then when you talk about the extreme long range guys, that's amazing to me. Someday that would be awesome but I got a ways to go before that.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Bronze Member

I have stoned the trigger in my Ruger to the point the trigger pull is light enough for good groups, and almost no trigger creep at all. Right now I am having good luck with Hornady soft points, but I bought some Sierra 180gr SPBT bullets, going to see how they shoot, trying to find the powder my rifle likes best as well. I will be saving for new optics, thinking a variable with a top power of 12 or over, but I still want a low enough bottom end to still be able to hunt the timber. I will be buying the heavier bullets from here on out, I haven't shot anything under 180grs in almost a decade, just been really happy with the 180gr bullet weight. Bottom line, probably the most important thing at this point is the supplies to be able to practice a lot more.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBman View Post
I am shooting a Ruger M77MKII in 300 Win Mag. It wears a Leupold VX III 2.5-8x36 scope (wanted the low end for wading into the alders when I lived in AK). Right now with handloads of 180, 200, and 208 grain bullets, it shoots right around 5/8-3/4" at 200 yards. While the trigger isn't the cleanest breaking trigger I have shot, I have worked with it and it breaks pretty decent at 2#. Wondering what it would take to double my comfortable range with this rifle? Right now I am confident out to 400 yards. Everything sits in one of Ruger's boat paddle stocks, I haven't made any changes other than some polishing and working with the trigger since I bought the rifle in 1999, still shoots pretty much the same size groups as it did new. I am on a limited budget, but I am curious. The 300 Win Mag is just about my favorite cartridge, followed by the 375 Ruger.
You're shooting sub 1/2 moa groups. You are already there.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBman View Post
I have stoned the trigger in my Ruger to the point the trigger pull is light enough for good groups, and almost no trigger creep at all. Right now I am having good luck with Hornady soft points, but I bought some Sierra 180gr SPBT bullets, going to see how they shoot, trying to find the powder my rifle likes best as well. I will be saving for new optics, thinking a variable with a top power of 12 or over, but I still want a low enough bottom end to still be able to hunt the timber. I will be buying the heavier bullets from here on out, I haven't shot anything under 180grs in almost a decade, just been really happy with the 180gr bullet weight. Bottom line, probably the most important thing at this point is the supplies to be able to practice a lot more.
Look at the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 or the Leupold 4.5-14x50 LR (side focus) if you are on a budget. Either will get you to your 800yds mark on deer sized game or even coyotes. I've shot bobcats to just over 1000yds with 14x.