Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What scope for my 7mm mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What scope for my 7mm mag?

One nice thing you'll find about this site is that there's a lot of people around here that are more than happy to help you do your homework to get set up right.

Great starter scope for you here at a reasonable price.

FS: Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 Tactical - Sniper's Hide Forums

More magnification would be nice of course but this will certainly get you to 600yds with ease and on your budget with very good quality glass and a lifetime warranty.

More than you were hoping to spend but an excellent sightron here.

Sightron 8-32X56 Mil/Mil Scope *Reduced* - Sniper's Hide Forums

Again a little outside what you were hoping to spend but a very decent scope for the money.

WTS: Weaver Tactcial 3-15 EMDR illuminated - Sniper's Hide Forums

These will at least give you something to think about and an idea of prices.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

I have an oportunity to get a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 with any reticle I want, through a pro-deal from Zeiss for $625. Brand New. What are your thoughts on this scope?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburton View Post
I have an oportunity to get a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 with any reticle I want, through a pro-deal from Zeiss for $625. Brand New. What are your thoughts on this scope?
Outstanding scope. That's the same scope I made my 870yds bobcat kill with, along with a whole lot of other critters over the years.

I really like the mildot reticle if for no other reason than to help your frame your misses for a very quick correction and follow up shot. Of course with practice you can also use the mildots to pretty accurately range targets of known size as well.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

I'll second that on the Conquest, although I have the 6.5x20's. You can't go wrong with a Zeiss Conquest. Great optics. Great repeatable clicks. I have the Z-Plex in my 3 and use the target turrets and just click up. Reticles are a personnal preference...you make the call with what feels right and looks good to you. The price is good too.
I am fond however of the Burris Ballistic-Plex. The dots are right on for the 2 rifles I have them on however they only go 600.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebore View Post
I'll second that on the Conquest, although I have the 6.5x20's. You can't go wrong with a Zeiss Conquest. Great optics. Great repeatable clicks. I have the Z-Plex in my 3 and use the target turrets and just click up. Reticles are a personnal preference...you make the call with what feels right and looks good to you. The price is good too.
I am fond however of the Burris Ballistic-Plex. The dots are right on for the 2 rifles I have them on however they only go 600.
You just made me think of something. The Z 1000 reticles are awfully nice as well. My little brother Jim has one on his 338 Lapua that has it and he's done extremely well with it once he got it all set up right.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys. I think I have finally made my decision. The Zeiss Conquest. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again for the help.