Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

what rifle for LRH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 12:31 AM
daveosok

Re: what rifle for LRH

Buy yourself a used action, buy a quality barrel, and stock of your choice. Have a good gunsmith build you a custom rifle. If your going to take it to a smith anyway and have him accurize it then might as well go all the way and build a completely custom gun.
Shilen, Hart, Douglass, Lilja, Krieger, PacNor are just a few examples of high quality barrel makers. You can usually find a used gun anywhere for a lot less than you plan to pay for the sps. Sell the stock on ebay and regain a few bucks.
If your looking at launching anything higher than say 180 ro so then use the 300 win mag, if you looking at shooting anyting below that weight then I would suggest looking at the wsm series of cases. More efficient, and a shorter case could mean a lighter rifle depending on action length chosen.
The 300 win mag is a good choice of claiber for long range hunting, nothing wrong with it either.
JM2C
Dave
Old 04-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Silver Member

All good advice here, I would also suggest the 300 RUM, with a brake. Chris Matthews who posts on this board builds some nice rifles. He can also make a thread protector that can be used in place of the brake if you wanted to take it off for hunting. In effect you would have a removable brake, which a lot of hunters prefer.

Frank D
Old 04-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Bronze Member

What do you all think bout maybe a remington pss in 300 RUM,( the pss has just been chambered for this round) aren't these the same as a sendero but with an un-fluted barell
Old 04-06-2005, 05:02 PM
daveosok

300 rum will do it. I had written a lengthy post as to why a custom built gun would be a better choice but it seems as if you've made your mind up on some sort of sniper system from a factory. So I deleted it and put this in its place.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:22 AM
Silver Member

jrdoty

Just saw a new pss the barrel was marked Sendero. Not sure what's up with that.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

The 700 PSS is much like the 700 Varminter. It has a H-S Precision Stock that have a wide beaver-tail type fore end and a ambidextrious palm swell in the grip. it has 26" heavy Parkerized barrel. It is much like the Sendero, but with a much better stock. There are of good quality. I own one in .300 RUM. The only work that I have had done is the action bedded and it shoots great. If you can handle the recoil it is a great rifle, mind you, the recoil is not as bad as you would think. With the scope, the rifle weighs in somewhere at 13-14 pounds.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Bronze Member

This is just a theoretical question; but if you were to do all your range work with a brake on, couldn't your POI change due to differences in recoil with and without the break?

If we are talking real long range, wouldn't you want ALL the consistancies you can get? Wouldn't the slightest variables in form and equipment make HUGE differences in POI at extended range?

I've never shot a break before so the change could be nothing. I simple don't have any basis for comparison.

Thanks for any input.

Chad