Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What range should a person initially sight in at.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 05:25 PM

What range should a person initially sight in at.

Good day, I have a quick question for you guys. I recently purchased a Sako 7mm Rem Mag. and I have loaded 168 GR Berger Bullets, know for the question at what range should a Guy use to see if the load is accurate or not I have been shooting at 100Yrds. Some opions would be greatly appreciated. As well a person should zero the scope to the target at what range as well.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: What range should a person initially sight in at.

I like to shoot at 300 yrds to test my longrange loads. I hardly ever shoot at 100yrds.

I am always sight in for a 100 yards. I feel i am dialing for alomst every shot so it really dosen't matter what you sight in for. I would think most people are sighted in around the 300 yrd mark.

Willys
Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Using the Nightforce NP-R1 reticle, I sight in so the top hash mark is 100yds. For my 338AM, that means the crosshair is around 735yds. For my 300WSM with the top hash at 100yds, the crosshair is around 530yds. Of course the exact zero depends on the elevation and temperature.

I don't dial shots in, I use the ballistic reticle, so I sight in to take full advantage of it.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

I initially sight the scope for 100 then dial it in for 200 when I go hunting in case I get one pop out kinda close.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:07 PM
SPONSOR

After all is said and done I usually zero at 200 yards.
In that process though I will have checked longer distances to make sure my drop charts match actual drop.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Personaly I like to perform accuracy tests at 300 yards. This is much more conclusive than at 100 yards. I also prefer to set up on a long shot from a tried and trued 300 yard zero. A 100 yard zero ussually isnt a true zero. If you shoot and put 3 bullets in the top 1/2 of a 1" bull's eye it looks like a good zero but it isnt and you compound the problem farther down the line. If you are 1/2" off at 300 yards now that doesnt lead to a much of a problem at any other distance. It doesnt matter if you dial it or use reticle hold overs, starting from a "close" 100 yard zero is asking for trouble down range. Nothing wrong with knowing your sub 300 yard marks for close shots either. Just dont "zero" it at 100 then try and shoot 1000 yards from a chart. This is very much a personal preference. Try and see what works best for you and your equipment.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

Meichele has a good point. You should always check it at longer ranges. Perhaps what I should have said was I have my turrets initially set up for a 100 yard zero then dial it to 200. The reason I dial it up is in case a buck pops out at me at a distance where I can judge it without any help from optics. If he is within a couple hundred yards when I see him and he takes a good looking over he will more then likely get past for next year. I'm not trying to sound snoody or anything but I haven't shot a small buck in several years. I learned a long time ago that if you want bigger bucks quit shooting them when they're young and small. If I wanted meat, that's what doe are for.