Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What to do with fireforming shots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

What to do with fireforming shots?

Reading "Precision Shooting". First chapter talks about the setup of new cases. Not a lot of info is given as to getting anything out of the first shot with these cases other than good fire-formed brass for your chamber. Makes it sound like proper case prep for its life in your gun is the ONLY objective for the first shot.

Am I reading this correctly? What do you do with this initial load?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What to do with fireforming shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlk View Post
Reading "Precision Shooting". First chapter talks about the setup of new cases. Not a lot of info is given as to getting anything out of the first shot with these cases other than good fire-formed brass for your chamber. Makes it sound like proper case prep for its life in your gun is the ONLY objective for the first shot.

Am I reading this correctly? What do you do with this initial load?

Thanks.
There are a couple of ways to go about it.

One is the COW (Cream of Wheat/Corn Meal) method.

Put the "correct" of fast burning powder (Unique) for the cartridge, fill the case with Corn Meal, and seal with a ball of Tissue Paper.

For forming cases where the sides have been straightened and the shoulder moved out with a different angle the COW method will get you about 98 there.

For fire forming non wild cat cartridges it's probably 100% effective.

If used be careful with the ring of residue built up on the case mouth.

Also, no magnum primers and watch barrel head. It will heat rapidly.

What I now do is with a new batch of cases (50 or 100) I load the case with a fire forming load which is nothing more that a reduce normal load, bullet and all, and go hunting with them. In my rifle the fire forming load in no less accurate (coyote accurate) than the normal load, just a little slower.

My barrel has a limited life and I want to get as much out of it as I can.

HTH.....
Old 02-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

I shoot my fireform shots.
I even let newbys that want to shoot fire them.
It's all good practice, some people don't like the barrel wear.
I figure when the barrel is wore out I'll get a new one.
The fireform loads I use are very accurate just 300 FPS slower.
I never mix and match because my fireform loads use different powder and bullets.
I'm eather fireforming or shooting full loads between cleaning.
I've even had my fireform loads out to one mile.
I load up some fireform loads, grap a friend, go out to the desert and range rocks, blast away.
Great times and most friends don't even know thier firefirming my brass!!!
after you have a couple hundred formed it will last for a while.
CAM
Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 AM

I grabbed a couple buddies, range finder, 60 rounds of factory ammo and went for a drive today. We were rock and stump hunting. We had a good time fire forming .243 AI cases today. We spent the better part of the day just driving around a looking for "good" targets out to and beyond 500 yards. Fire forming = good times. Make it fun.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

With factory rounds and a factory barrel I usualy do a quick site in and

With Ackly improved rounds I usualy load the parent case to max, do a quick site in and

With special rounds like the 22PPC I take special care to make sure to turn the necks on 220 Russian brass, do a quick site in and

With dedicated long range rounds like the 6BR,6-284 and 6.5-284 I put a consistant amount of powder in them along with a VLD bullet. Then you guessed it do a quick site in and

You didnt mention why you are fireforming but if its just to form the case to the chamber I seriously doubt you will notice much of a difference in group size in most cases. The bench rest men might notice a differece but I have yet to find a prairie dog that knowes or cares if the round is a fireforming round or one of my "Precision Shooting" specialy formed to my chamber cases.
Had a 1000 yard competitor tell me that 300Weatherby loads(useing necked and turned 340 Weatherby brass) in my 308 Baer would shoot as good as the final 308 Baer fireformed loads would, ya know he was right They dont shoot to same point of impact but they group just as good!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

The first thing I do is to look for some of the older bullets that I have in stock and don't intend to use anymore - why waste your new bullets when fireforming?

As soon as I find a reasonably accurate load, I "huntform" the remainder of the brass. I had a 6mmAI that would regularly shoot .5moa with odd ball bullets that had been collecting dust on the loading bench. Killed quite a few groundhogs while huntforming the Norma cases.

I'd add that I also load up my "fouling" rounds with odds & ends bullets that were left over from some other application.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Gold Member

one thing I have been told is to remove your muzzle brake when using the cream of wheat process . if you don't remove it , it could get damaged . Jim