Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What to do...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 PM

What to do...

I have been thinking of building a long range rifle for some time now and I shot a friend of mines 6.5 creedmore the other day and it was asome we were hitting tartgets 900+ all day so I have to have something that will do that.

My problem that i am having is that I have 3 guns right now that I do not hunt with they are new in box browning a-bolt 300 win mag stalker comp stalk blued barrel (plan jane), and new in box tikka T3 lite 300wsm blue barrel wood stock, and a pre64 winchester M70 30-06 all factory but in rough shape.

Should I try to make one of the guns that I already own into a long range shooter or sell the browning and tikka and just by a gun that will do what i need. I don't really want to sell the winchester.

Thanks Ryan...
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What to do...

your tikka should be able to take you out too 900+

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 06-06-2012, 12:53 PM

The one problem with the tikka is that it is super light I think it may beat the crap out of me? Or maybe not I gues I should shoot it some and see how it feels.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

you could always get a muzzle brake. but you will also need the accuracy to get you out ther to 900+

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 06-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Normally I'd say evaluate what you've got, and let them take you as far as they can. You've mentioned recoil as a concern, and have a couple of rifles you're avoiding. On the other hand you shot a 6.5 you obviously enjoyed. At the end of it that's all that matters. That leaves you with building or buying. If building I'd start with the Model 70 action you like, chambered in any of the 6.5's . My advice would be sell them all, and buy a turn key set up, or one of Len's ready mades. A 6.5 can be braked to further reduce recoil, to the point of negligible.

Last edited by HARPERC; 06-06-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the info I think I will try to sell a few things. Recoil is not a big deal normaly except when the gun weight 6lbs the 6.5 I shot I would be able to shot it all day no problem it didn't kick at all. I think I will try to sell the 300 win mag a mini 14 rach rifle that I never use and maybe a taurus judge. Should be able to buy something with that much money (if I can sell them).

Thanks Ryan...
Old 06-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Do it once and do it right ... full custom! You won't be disappointed, and you'll save yourself money, time and frustration in the long run!