Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

what to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Bronze Member

what to do?

i have a winshester m70 super grade in 300 wm. beautiful gun topped with a luepold 4.5-14 40 ao. could not get it to group less than 1.5 " at 100 yards. had a gunsmith rebed and float the barrel as well as lap the crown. i took it to the range the other day and still have no better results. accuracy seems to get worse as barrel gets warm. all ammo are handloads. any thoughts?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: what to do?

You could fiddle with seating depth, and change powders. If you are noticing poor accuracy as the barrel heats up, then you want to take your time and keep it as consistent in temperature. You may have to wait a few minutes between shots. Some barrels don't like to be heated up.

What is your current load and bullet selection? What brass are you using and what is your brass prep work like? A lot of variables. The more info you can give about the particulars, the better we can walk ya in.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Bronze Member

I am very limited to seating depth. The magazine doesn't allow for the bullets to be seated out very far at all. I have tried h1000, h4831 and rl22. Bullets have been nosler bt's in 165 & 180 gr. Along with 180gr Sierra btsp and 200 gr bthp. All cases are neck sized, necks turned and primer pockets cleaned along with deburing flash holes. Cases are Winchester. Dies are rcbs along with the single stage press. Primers are Winchester lg rifle magnum.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Bronze Member

I have a Weatherby I've had similar results with. I can tell you this, the biggest variable I've found is with bullets. Some bullets just won't shoot worth a darn out of my gun. I've tried Nosler BT's, Nosler Partitions, Sierra Gamekings, Hornady A-Max and Interlocks, and Speer BTSP.

Most average 1.25-1.50". The Partitions were the worse, grouping as badly as 3". I've finally worked a load with the Speers that will stay just under 1". The Interlocks also shoot okay, another BTSP.
I still have work to do but I'm getting closer.

My point is, the bullet itself has shown to be the biggest variable in my rifle. Maybe try some different bullets.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

For the 165's and 180's you may want to try some RL19 or H4350. The 200's your right where you should be with powder. How far from the lands are you currently when getting your rounds to fit in the mag? Have you tried or have shot any factory ammo that shot well in this particular rifle?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Bronze Member

i will check on the distance off the lands. i have not shot any factory ammo in this gun, to tell you the truth i cant remember when i have shot any factory ammo
Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

the distance off the lands is about .18". i should add that my goal with this gun is to be able to take deer at 500+ yards.