Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What caliber for second barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

What caliber for second barrel?

I'm going to buy a second barrel for my Savage short action. This new barrel will be for target shooting out to 1200 yards only. What I want is the cheapest round to reload that will get the best performance way out there. For example the top 2 calibers in the running right now are the 223ai and the 6mmbr. I have to admit not knowing much about target calibers, so if anyone has anymore insight let me know. I am factoring barrel life in the cost of reloading, and availability of components is also important.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: What caliber for second barrel?

If you are looking to stretch a 5.56 or 6mm out to 1200 yd's with out going to a barrel burning overbore you might want to look at the 6mmXC with 115 gr bullets.
Dave

6XC Cartridge Guide
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 11-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

243Win/ Ackley Imp. (barrel burners 1500-2000rnds), 6.5x47 Lapua (better barrel life), 260 Rem, 6.5x55 Swede, all these cases you can get Lapua brass for. The 260 Rem you either neck up 243 or neck down 308. With the 6mm you will want a 1:9 or faster twist for shooting the 105, 107, and 115 bullets. The 6.5's will need a 1:9 for the 140grn bullet, but personally I would lean toward the 123's. For paper punching the 123 Lapua Scenar, and 123 SMK would be an awesome bullet (I don't mention the 6.5x284 because it is a barrel burner). When going to 7mm's I would look at the 284 Win, and 7mm-08 Ackley Imp. Just some suggestions.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

284win, but you might have to run it single shot.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Silver Member

What's it chambered for now?

Are you doing a switch barrel?

If your doing a switch barrel, are you planning on feeding from the magazine?

If you want to feed from the magazine with a switch barrel, then your calibers should share the same case herritage. It'll make things easier.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

It's a 7mm wsm now. Not planning to feed from the mag. It will be a switch barrel deal, and yes, I will be switching the bolt head as well. This barrel will only be used for practice. The cheaper the cost to reload the better, but I still want to reach out there. I'm shooting a Savage fv 223 right now out to 1000 yards. It shoots the Hornady 75 grn hpbt no problem, but doesn't like the 75 grn a-max. It's only a 1-9 twist witch limits my bullet choice. This is why I was thinking a 223ai in a faster twist just might work.

I will not be shooting competition or hunting with this caliber at all, so it doesn't have to be the best wis bang kid on the block. Just something with better ballistics than I am getting right now. Something that goes through the wind a little bit better.

I'm researching some of the other suggestions more closely and I appreciate any experience others are willing to share.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
It's a 7mm wsm now. Not planning to feed from the mag. It will be a switch barrel deal, and yes, I will be switching the bolt head as well. This barrel will only be used for practice. The cheaper the cost to reload the better, but I still want to reach out there. I'm shooting a Savage fv 223 right now out to 1000 yards. It shoots the Hornady 75 grn hpbt no problem, but doesn't like the 75 grn a-max. It's only a 1-9 twist witch limits my bullet choice. This is why I was thinking a 223ai in a faster twist just might work.

I will not be shooting competition or hunting with this caliber at all, so it doesn't have to be the best wis bang kid on the block. Just something with better ballistics than I am getting right now. Something that goes through the wind a little bit better.

I'm researching some of the other suggestions more closely and I appreciate any experience others are willing to share.
>For cheap, buck the wind, 1k yd accuracy, and you want to single load. Easy choice 308Win run 175 match bullets.

223 won't buck the wind like .30 cal. and the 308 only uses a little more powder, and reloading will be comparable if not easier.