Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

What am I doing wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2006, 08:17 PM

Re: What am I doing wrong?

I wonder if this could have a similar effect to moly-coating the bore? I really like that graphite powder for use on the internal part of bolts and bolt raceways, as opposed to oil because of oils tendency to gum up with powder residue...
Old 05-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

well I followed kiby's advise about breakin on my 7mm AM he built did alot of cleaning during breakin, now with 70 rounds down the pipe I have never saw a hint of copper on any patches, some carbon but nothing blue.
JS
Old 05-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

James, I would almost expect that with a high quality tube such as one that Kirby would use. My barrel is a factory Savage barrel, I think the Graphite might have something to do with it. I was hoping someone else had similar results with graphite, or maybe it was the luck of the draw.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Graphite is an abrasive. Why are you putting it in your barrel? Lots of precision mechanical things have been ruined by people squirting graphite in them.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Silver Member

Hi Bart B

[ QUOTE ]
I got that tip from a varmint huntner/match shooter. He stumbled upon it on another message board, and swears it protects the barrel, cuts down copper fouling, and reduces fouling shots after cleaning.

----------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned in a previous post, and I did some searching on the internet re: the subject. What I read sounded good, a few guys said conditioning the bore with lock-ease just about eliminated copper fouling. I really have no way to prove the above statement, but in my cleaning routine I am not getting any copper.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Gold Member

Ive never notticed graphite to reduce copper fouling, but It sure does seem to help settle down tempermantal barrels that take a few rounds to "settle down" after cleaning.

Its also worth noteing that there are several powders out now that are incorperating graphite into their composition due to research that this helps to reduce throat erosion caused by burning kernels of powder flowing into the throat