Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

water proofing barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 06:20 PM

water proofing barrels

Does anyone have a product to protect the finish of barrels. where I hunt there is lots of moisture in the air and surrounding brush when I leave the hunting area at night my barrels have already started to show rust spots. I have to rub them down well and oil them till they drip. The next day same problem.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: water proofing barrels

This may sound funny, but it works. I was shooting a lot of competition in the rain a few years ago and was having the same problem you describe. I had read about waxing firearms to protect them, so I completely stripped one of my competition rifles (model 1873 in 357mag). I degreased it and waxed it with Carnuba car wax. I put 2 coats with a buffing between (on all the external surfaces) on the barrel, action and other metal parts. I then oiled all the internal parts (as per normal) and re-assembled. I shot that rifle for 2+ months (probably 20 days outside at least 1/2 of them in the rain). It never rusted AT ALL!

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

I"m with AJ on this one.

The only rifle that I've ever had that did not ever show rust was my semi custom circa 1966 270 Win on a Mauser action and Douglas CM barrel.

I used a slow rust process to finish the metal parts. I suppose the same process used in the old days to turn the long rifles brown. It was a pretty sweet looking finish and was way tougher than bluing with beautiful highlights and zip reflection.

The last step in the process was to wax it. I don't recall what type of wax I used but i recall giving it a couple of goes and never did it again for over 30 years. It never rusted and saw all kinds of weather.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

We are having a similar problem with my sons Stainless Stalker. I just picked up some Flitz but haven't put it on yet. It says it is a Carnuba and Beeswax product. Check out this link or just search Flitz at MidwayUSA.com

MidwayUSA - Flitz Rifle and Gun Wax Rust Preventative 3.4 oz Liquid

MidwayUSA - Flitz Rifle and Gun Wax Rust Preventative 3.4 oz Liquid