Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out


Reply

Wanting suggestions on first rifle

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 07-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax Fl.
Posts: 486
Re: Wanting suggestions on first rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem700 View Post
A Remington is always my first choice. A 243 is really good at 1k target shoot, it has less drop and wind drift than a 6.5x284 at a 1k. And if ackley improved could give a 7mm wsm a run for it's money at a 1k. With much better barrel life.

But given your budget, a Savage Long Range Hunter would be a solid choice and you can top it off with a leupold, sightron, vortex or bushnell elite and be $200-ish over your budget. But you'll have a nice rig.

If you don't reload, remember cheap ammo will give poor results. Remington or winchester's cheaper ammo may work out to 300 yds or so but at a 1k yds it won't cut it.
Geee...I have not seen the top 243 loads that will run with a 6.5x284. Please post some load data as I really want to see these super 243 1000 yrd loads that are smoking those poor guys shooting 6.5x284.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-27-2012, 03:04 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax Fl.
Posts: 486
Re: Wanting suggestions on first rifle

Savage LRH in 6.5x284 and a burris fullfied II 4.5x14x42 @ $299.00 from midsouth with burris signiture select standard rings and bases. Get the +/- 10* inserts to get more adjustment ability . Should be really close to $1000 if you shop the rifle hard. Them for @$200.00 more get a lee reloading kit and a set of forster reloading dies. Good luck !
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pa.
Posts: 103
Re: Wanting suggestions on first rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
Geee...I have not seen the top 243 loads that will run with a 6.5x284. Please post some load data as I really want to see these super 243 1000 yrd loads that are smoking those poor guys shooting 6.5x284.
243 Win Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

or

Comparative Ballistics (Drop from 100-Yard Zero, Drift in 10mph Crosswind)

CartridgeBulletVel FPS....300yd Drop/Drift..600ydDrop/Drift...1000yd Drop/Drift
.7mm WSM 180gr Berger VLD 3000 9.75″ | 3.83″ 63.81″ | 16.13″ 235.19″ | 49.31″
7mm SAUM 180gr Berger VLD 2970 10.02″ | 3.87″ 65.38″ | 16.38″ 240.81″ | 50.10″
..284 Win 180gr Berger VLD 2830 11.31″ | 4.10″ 73.27″ | 17.69″ 269.88″ | 54.26″
.7mm-08 168gr Berger VLD 2670 13.32″ | 4.67″ 85.03″ | 20.39″ 317.97″ | 64.04″
...308 Win 175..Sierra...MK 2690 13.84″ | 6.24″ 91.58″ | 27.64″ 365.74″ | 89.24″
.6.5-284 142.....Sierra...MK 2950 10.42″ | 4.48″ 69.25″ | 19.52″ 263.08″ | 61.02″
..243 Win 115.......DTAC......3120 8.97″ | 4.24″ 60.82″ | 18.25″ 232.3″ | 57.0″

data from...7mm Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com
.243 has 31" less drop and 4" less drift at 1000yds and twice the barrel life. Because it's new doesn't make it better.
__________________
A little bit of fire burns alot of wheat.

Hey now, one time i reached down to pet a little dog and it was a 5lbs squirrel - Si Robertson
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,149
Re: Wanting suggestions on first rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem700 View Post
243 Win Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

or

Comparative Ballistics (Drop from 100-Yard Zero, Drift in 10mph Crosswind)

CartridgeBulletVel FPS....300yd Drop/Drift..600ydDrop/Drift...1000yd Drop/Drift
.7mm WSM 180gr Berger VLD 3000 9.75″ | 3.83″ 63.81″ | 16.13″ 235.19″ | 49.31″
7mm SAUM 180gr Berger VLD 2970 10.02″ | 3.87″ 65.38″ | 16.38″ 240.81″ | 50.10″
..284 Win 180gr Berger VLD 2830 11.31″ | 4.10″ 73.27″ | 17.69″ 269.88″ | 54.26″
.7mm-08 168gr Berger VLD 2670 13.32″ | 4.67″ 85.03″ | 20.39″ 317.97″ | 64.04″
...308 Win 175..Sierra...MK 2690 13.84″ | 6.24″ 91.58″ | 27.64″ 365.74″ | 89.24″
.6.5-284 142.....Sierra...MK 2950 10.42″ | 4.48″ 69.25″ | 19.52″ 263.08″ | 61.02″
..243 Win 115.......DTAC......3120 8.97″ | 4.24″ 60.82″ | 18.25″ 232.3″ | 57.0″

data from...7mm Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com
.243 has 31" less drop and 4" less drift at 1000yds and twice the barrel life. Because it's new doesn't make it better.
You are basing this solely on a virtually brand new target/match bullet?

Remember the subject here is a guy brand new to LR hunting and his first build for a LR rifle who wants to do this on a budget.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax Fl.
Posts: 486
Re: Wanting suggestions on first rifle

Another good thing with the savage in 6.5x284 is that it is a long action. If you want to go wirh a heavier round later all you do is screw on another barrel and maybe a bolt head and you are up and running. No machine work needed to change a savage barrel. Nobody makes a more accirate rifle oit of the box than savage , better looking not better shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jax Fl.
Posts: 486
Re: Wanting suggestions on first rifle

Also , if you are not willing or able to handload you might want to go with the same rig in 308win . That wil give the most available , affordable factory ammo. I consider hand loading the other hand in long range shooting and recomended a round that is mostly for hand loaders and has limited factory ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pa.
Posts: 103
Re: Wanting suggestions on first rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You are basing this solely on a virtually brand new target/match bullet?

Remember the subject here is a guy brand new to LR hunting and his first build for a LR rifle who wants to do this on a budget.
If the match bullet was replaced with a Berger, would that erase the 31'' of difference?
It was my suggestion because the OP said " Not so much interested in hunting for now, just the challenge of being able to pull off the 1000yd+ shots."

Ammo is more affordable and more readily availble than the 6.5. Am i saying anything untrue about the 6.5 x 284 or do i hate it...NO. But some times people forget great classic round.

If it was for hunting the conversation may have been different.
__________________
A little bit of fire burns alot of wheat.

Hey now, one time i reached down to pet a little dog and it was a 5lbs squirrel - Si Robertson

Last edited by Rem700; 07-28-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Wanting suggestions on first rifle
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanting to start a long distance rifle. idahohunter4 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 06-26-2012 07:16 PM
wanting to build a "mountain rifle" yotehunter243 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 48 06-15-2012 03:09 PM
Wanting a rifle stock Bouieboy Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 0 08-16-2011 01:46 PM
Wanting to build a rifle for F-Class rdm Long Range Competition 17 07-10-2009 03:43 PM
Wanting to Sell Tannerite Rifle Targets Gossettc68 Guns For Sale 0 08-10-2004 11:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC