Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Wanting to build a rifle questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wanting to build a rifle questions.

I think it's a good idea to get up with some people near you who would be willing to let you shoot there guns and see what you like, don't like. We have had many people do this and have let them shoot up to about 20 different guns. Looking at platforms on the Internet is one thing and they may "look sweet, cool, or whatever" but until you feel it, shoot it or handle the gun, you just see the looks and not find out what specific features you like or dislike.

Also, what is your experience level of shooting long range? As DM770 said, the calibers you mentioned in a lightweight platform are going to be real thumpers in the recoil department if you're just getting started in long range may be uncomfortable for a first longrange gun. The 7mm may be a more comfortable setup in a lightweight gun. This is something you could judge by getting a little trigger time behind several different rifles before you choose.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryeguy View Post
Those look sweet. What's the long action vs short action? What caliber did you get?
Mine is a 6.5X284. Long action means magnum caliber where short action is usually anything 3006 or smaller.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

Here ya go!! Best of everything...a custom gun, a 300 rum case, shooting a 338 bullet!! Here is a very nice turn key set up. I would talk to this gentleman and work out a deal. They don't get any nicer than this.

R bros 338 edge
Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 PM

I shoot a 300 mag now. Been hunting with it for over ten yrs. I have shot a 338 mag and a 300 RUM. The 300 rum is a custom christenson arms. Im not thinking something super lightweight just not a bench gun weight. Im in northern north dakota so not to many people have custom rigs around me. I was thinking about driving out to snowy mnt rifles in MT. And checking out some of their rifles. Anyone have one/info on their rifles? Thats a nice gun there doubleZ i will look into it thanks. Where in ND are you located?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Thank you. I live in rural west fargo.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryeguy View Post
I shoot a 300 mag now. Been hunting with it for over ten yrs. I have shot a 338 mag and a 300 RUM. The 300 rum is a custom christenson arms. Im not thinking something super lightweight just not a bench gun weight. Im in northern north dakota so not to many people have custom rigs around me. I was thinking about driving out to snowy mnt rifles in MT. And checking out some of their rifles. Anyone have one/info on their rifles? Thats a nice gun there doubleZ i will look into it thanks. Where in ND are you located?
Long Range and light weight don't often meet.

If you want a long range rig you want to start with a rig that finishes at least in the 9-12lbs range. Heavier is steadier, steadier is more consistent and consistency equals accuracy.

The 300wm is more than enough rifle for any game in north America out to 1,000yds.

The 300 Rum does everything the wm does it just does it about 300fps faster.

As for actions, many years back an old gunsmith told me "The Model 70 is just a Mauser made right."

Well the Snowy Mountain Rifles is just a model 70 made stouter and better.

Beware of the affliction known as "Cannonitis". It causes people to spend ridiculous amounts of money on super magnum calibers they don't need, can't shoot well, and can't tolerate the recoil from. It's a pretty common affliction usually cured by a trip to the classifieds section here at LRH or over at Sniper's Hide.

If you are thinking seriously about one of the super 338's then as someone suggested find someone that's got one they'll let you shoot a bit before making such a decision.

You can easily spend four grand or more putting one together and then find yourself unable to more than 2,500.00 out of it when you decide to sell it because you don't enjoy shooting it.

For what it's worth I own rifles in 223-375Ruger and every one of them has a job to do and I enjoy shooting them but for hunting North America there's no need at all for anything bigger than my 7mm STW or 300 WM except elk and big bears at over 1,000yds for which I have the 300 Rum.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublezranch View Post
Thank you. I live in rural west fargo.
Isn't all of west Fargo rural?!?!?! Just Kidding Eh!!