Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Wanting to build a rifle questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 02:43 PM

Wanting to build a rifle questions.

Hello,
This is my first post here. Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but here it goes.
I'm wanting to build a long range lightweight hunting rifle. I have no idea about how to go about all this.
Thinking of 300 RUM or a 338? Will be hunting big game. Elk, deer, and hopefully moose one day. Now question is would you guys recommend building complete custom? As in buying barrel,stock,action,trigger from different mfg. Or buy a gun I like and do a few upgrades? Or just buy some mfg. custom long range gun? I would be willing to spend around 4000 for the gun. Any ideas/ thoughts would be nice. All this will be new to me. Thanks guys!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wanting to build a rifle questions.

If you have that much to spend I'd probably do a custom action rifle built the way you want it. Here is a good magnum action:

Stiller Action

They also have stocks and barrels. Source the parts and then have someone put it together for you. It would be quicker if you already have the parts in hand.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

If you don't have a rifle to start with I suggest you buy a rifle already set up for LRH and later you can build one once you figure out what you like and don't like in a rifle. There are a lot of good rifle makers on this site and some in the classified section. Do you reload if not you will need to learn that also.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:39 PM

Yes I will be reloading. What complete rifle make would be recommended? Anyone shoot thompson long range rifles?
Old 03-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

I ordered a new MOA Evolution Extreme Rifle from Extremeouterlimitstv.com. Get it in two weeks but he has rifles ready to ship. I know Bob Beck personally and am anxious to get it.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Those look sweet. What's the long action vs short action? What caliber did you get?
Old 03-23-2014, 01:03 PM

You said you were looking at a 338lm or a 300rum, I worry about your idea of light weight. Both of these rifles have large amounts of recoil. Not that it can not be done just an observation. In that price range you can get about any rifle. Time line is the real question as custom parts are running 6 months plus.