Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Want to buy a rifle in .243 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Want to buy a rifle in .243 caliber

Remington has always been held in high esteem however, there are many out there who feel they are lagging behind several producers in the accuracy/quality department.

I'd probably make my decision in a similar order to this:

1) Custom, if you can afford it. Cruising the classifieds can produce a great rifle for a dern good price, if you're patient.

2) Savage Arms.
Pros- American made (very important to me). Usually stupid accurate out of the box. Better feeling target "style" trigger than the new Remington. Fastest lock time in the industry. Nearly as many accessories available as Remington. Several available models.
Cons- Can experience extraction issues after a long life (very easy to fix). Stiffer bolt lift than any of the others.

2) Tikka
Pros- Very Slick action. Good looking. Usually very accurate.
Cons- Not as much aftermarket support. Usually come with a pencil barrel. Non-American company (IIRC). Not as many models available.

3) Remington
Pros- There is nothing you can't replace via the aftermarket world. Great CS. Many, Many models available.
Cons- Lacking Quality Control. The SPS stock is garbage & should be (IMHO) replaced immediately adding extra cost.

Just a very quick comparison from the top of my head.

t

Old 05-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

I just bought a tikka t3 in a 243 to add to the collection. I only have been able to do limited load development so far but it looks very promising. Using imr-4064 and sierra 85 grn hpbt gamekings i have been able to average 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards and around 1.5" at 200 yards.

With that being said the post outlaw made about tikka is correct in the fact it has a pencil thin barrel and accuracy starts to suffer after 3 shots or so even allowing some time to cool between shots.

Just my opinion but if you are looking for a lightweight accurate hunting rig then the tikka is great. If you are looking to shoot a decent amount from the bench then i would look more towards a savage which sports a little beefier barrel.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300whisper View Post
Correct Punisher! For the OPs application the Remington 700 SPS Varmint!
I know, just hoping to put another person on a Winchester!

Old 05-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
I know, just hoping to put another person on a Winchester!

I agree. I don't quite understand how Winchester seems to have been moved so far down the list by such a high percentage of shooters.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman56 View Post
I agree. I don't quite understand how Winchester seems to have been moved so far down the list by such a high percentage of shooters.
Honestly for me, it's about the sleekness of the action. I don't like the CRF on the Winchester actions, but other than that no real issues or complaints(seems petty, I know). Also, I've grown up around Remington's my entire life so it has a lot to do with product loyalty, and that they always perform for me. I might have to go buy a Winchester now in .243 to go give it a swing
Old 05-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Honestly for me, it's about the sleekness of the action. I don't like the CRF on the Winchester actions, but other than that no real issues or complaints(seems petty, I know). Also, I've grown up around Remington's my entire life so it has a lot to do with product loyalty, and that they always perform for me. I might have to go buy a Winchester now in .243 to go give it a swing
The first rifle I ever took to half a mile was my dad's pre-64 30-06. I still have it and my son will have it next. That being said (and most Winchester fans would disagree with me) I've always favored the push style post 64 action. I prefer the safety, I think it has a better extractor than Remingtons and I like the integrated recoil lug.

There are just as many Remingtons as Winchesters in my safe. Remingtons are easier to work on with that round action and they are most certainly the small block Chevy of rifles as far as aftermarket parts go. I guess I don't really favor one over the other.........just can't figure why Winchester gets mentioned less and less.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Here is what I can tell you objectly. On my Winchester .243, the firing pin strikes the primer slightly off center. And the leupold rings I have on it are no good. Barrel life on the featherweight edition that I have is only about 3k rounds. And in 4 years I have shot the barrel out of it.

It did hold .25 MOA right out of the box. Which is pretty great considering I had to get a sendero before I had a remington that could do that out of the box.

505 yards. One shot in the head.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Want to buy a rifle in .243 caliber-image.jpg  

Last edited by Punisher; 05-25-2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Photo didn't upload