Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Want to build a quality LR rifle for under $1500?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 PM

Want to build a quality LR rifle for under $1500?

Hi All,
New to the site and was wondering what your recommendations for me to build a quality LR rifle from various vendors?

I like how the Mcmillan A3 stock looks but note sure which on to get? all I know is I like black.
Looked at the Hart Rifle barrles and they look pretty amazing.

I want to shoot the Lapua 338 round
Comfortable range for me would be like 500 yards.

trigger note sure?
Reciever? dont know

Any and all help would be be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Want to build a quality LR rifle for under $1500?

The savage 110 FCP in the HS Precision stock is going to be about as close as you are going to be able to get on $1500
it has a good stock, muzzle brake, and detachable box magazine and it should be a shooter right out of the box
I really dont think you will be able to build one for what is in your budget.
Also for 500 yard work a 308 will do just fine.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

+1, agree on all points.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

If you truly want to build a nice rifle and have nothing to start with you should bump your budget to around $2500 and have a good rifle smith that you can deal with then cross your fingers. You would be looking at probably a year out depending on who supplies what.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 AM
Gold Member

Is this for target practice or hunting? If for hunting what will you be hunting? Do you have a quality scope already or are you going to buy one? If so is that also included in your $1500 budget?
Let's assume you need a scope as well included in the $1500 and you want to hunt with it. You will get a million answers on which caliber is the most appropriate and I'm not saying my opinion is worth more than the next guys but here it is. Taking into account you said this is going to be used out to 500 yds. I think I would choose a Savage with accutrigger or a Remington 700 chambered in .308. This assumes you might hunt elk or bear with it. With the appropriate ammo it is plenty capable out to 500 yds.+. I would caution against using it on these bigger animals much beyond 500yds. I'm assuming this is going to be a rifle used to practice a lot with and used only on occasion for elk/bear? There are better calibers for these animals but a .338 Lapua is hardly a great choice to start with. It is 3 times more expensive to operate than something like a .308. If elk/bear is not in the equation then there are several options. I would say a 260 Remington or a 243 would be on the top of my list for a 500yd. deer rifle. If hunting is not in the equation at all I would drop down to something in the .22 caliber range like a 220 swift maybe because they are cheap to shoot and no recoil. The less recoil the better when it comes to practice.
With that in mind I would rather spend $500 on the rifle and $1000 on the scope then $1000 on the rifle and $500 on the scope. Buy the best scope you can.

Welcome to the site! I highly recommend you read all you can on this website. It has taught me a lot more in a few years then I learned in 15 years of trying to learn this stuff on my own. Good luck!
Jason
Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

shortpants hit the nail on the head.
IF you are learning long range, DO NOT SHOOT A LAPUA! You can shoot a .308 to learn and then go buy your .338 when your ready and you will still be way ahead of the game financially. I shoot a .338 RUM and built a .243 specifically for deer to 400 yards and practice to 1k. It is less than 1/3 the cost to shoot.

The Lapua is great, but its a round for 800 yards +++ or grizz. It is just too big for most aplications (dont get me wrong, I still use mine for gophers).
If your stuck on the lapua, you'll be looking at the Savage line of rifles for that much coin. a cheaper option would be a .340 Weatherby or a .338 RUM.

A McMillan and Hart barrel chambered already puts you around your budget.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Gold Member

The OP started a new thread regarding this rifle. You can read about it here...
Rifle + scope for 1K, is it possible?