Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Vortex or leupold?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: Vortex or leupold?

You could always drive up to Beaverton and take a tour. May get an appreciation for their optics.

You'll need a passport and a plane ticket for the Vortex...

Quality is quality but...Just saying

Last edited by Shane Lindsey; 05-17-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spell
Old 05-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillDog View Post
You get a lot more for your dollar with Vortex and a far superior warranty.

VIP Warranty is 100% NO FAULT lifetime. Fully transferable. No registration or receipt needed. Just have it in your possession. No questions asked. Doesn't matter how it got damaged or why, just send it in and they'll take care of it free and clear.
well i wasn't gunna say any thing but i have me flame suit on, it might be that way in the US but in Australia they will not even answer emails, i have been trying to get in contact about my viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP for a week and no go ..

not happy
Old 05-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadidarren View Post
well i wasn't gunna say any thing but i have me flame suit on, it might be that way in the US but in Australia they will not even answer emails, i have been trying to get in contact about my viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP for a week and no go ..

not happy
Give a call to the US office. You'll get any answer or service you desire. If they are not available, they are always great at calling you back.

Maybe even complain a bit to them about the Aussie office ;)

Here's the phone number
1 (800) 426-0048
Old 05-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

All I know is that many Vortex model's glass quality is just as good as Leupold VX3. BUT ...for much less money.

Then you throw in that amazing warranty, and it's a no brainer. Below is the warranty description that I copied and pasted here straight from their web site. It can't be beat.

Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defectiveóat no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it.
  • Unlimited, unconditional lifetime warranty
  • Fully transferable
  • No warranty card to fill out.
  • No receipt needed to hang on to.
If you ever have a problem, no matter the cost, we promise to take care of you. The VIP warranty does not cover loss, theft or deliberate damage to the product...that's it.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Ok so after looking more into it what does everyone think of the nightforce shv. I guess my question is will this scope let me dile out to different ranges or will I have to holdover?
Old 05-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Silver Member

You might want to look at the Sightron III 6-24 exposed turrets scope.. I have Vortex PST, Leupolds and Nightforce, I just got the Sightron for my 30-378...For my screwed up eyes the Sightron is a better fit then my Vortex PST... The glass seems be be right there with my nightforce. I have used Leupolds warrentee and they fix them no problem but wait times can be a pain..Everyone says that Votex has the very very best customer service and there is something to be said for that.. I have read bad reveiws on Sightrons Customer Service...So far I am extremely happy with the Sightron..I believe it is one of the best buys for the buck. I would definately buy another one when I need a new scope. JMO Dave
Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Long as we are on the Vortex vs. Leupold bandwagon....

I have em both and a couple Nikons and a NightForce and a US Optics. No S&B yet but maybe in the future.

The way I see it..

Leupold is made here, Beaverton, Oregon
Vortex is made in the Phillepenes or China (depends on model and price)

Leupold has a custom shop in house
Vortex don't.

Vortex has an outstanding warranty because the markup on the scopes allows them to landfill a returned scope and replace it with a new one (thats how it works btw)....... and contrary to common belief's they aren't the only ones that do that........

Leupold repairs theirs in Beaverton or replaces it at their discretion.

Both companies excell at bedside manner.

Both utilize the now industry standard (brought about by the competitive nature of the optics business, for no other reason) that mid range to high end optics command.

The major difference between Vortex and Leupold, at least for me is model selection. Leupold has at least 6 times as many models as Vortex has. Finally, Leupold was making fine optics before Vortex was even thought about.

Personally, I think Leupold is overpriced but so is NF and USO and S&B and March. Vortex fills the price gap and thats their forte'.

Just my humble opinion.