Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Very Low Recoil Deer Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2006, 07:56 PM

Very Low Recoil Deer Rifle

I have been lurking here for a few weeks now. I can tell in that amount of time that you all can answer my questions better than most. I live and hunt in Michigan. Long range for us is about 400 yards. I know this is medium range for most of you westerners, but it is what we have here. My grandfather is very small framed 80 year old. He has hunted all of his life, but has become very recoil sensitive due to a combination of deteriorating shoulders, and an abusive Rem 7600 in 30-06. He has ditched the 30-06 in favor of my Savage Model 10 in .243. Herein lies the problem. The .243 is much too long stocked for him. As a result it causes him stretch out too far over the gun and separate his shoulder just enough to make the small recoil of this gun painful enough to continue his flinching. This in turn causes him to make very poor shots at all distances. I don't expect I will have too many years left in which to hunt with the old guy, and want to make the time we have left more productive for him.
I need a little input on my current plan. I want to build him a rifle that he can shoot without any recoil pain. To this end, I think I will stick with the .243. A .308 or 7mm-08 would be a great choice for killing deer, but for recoil concerns the .243 seems like a better choice. The current savage is bone stock. It has the Savage tupperware stock. It has the non-accutrigger. Here is what I have in mind

RifleBasix Trigger
Boyd Laminated thumbhole stock shortened two inches
Simms Recoil Pad
Float and Bed

My questions are about barrel selection. I could just leave the stock barrel, but I think adding a heavier barrel would help reduce recoil just because of the added weight. The first question is what barrel should I be looking toward? What length is the most efficient for the .243? With the idea of using 95+ grain bullets what twist should I be looking for? Is a brake going to be very effective on a .243, or will the added muzzle blast increase the precieved recoil? By the way, this idea is just on paper at this point, so I am open to any input.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Very Low Recoil Deer Rifle

The 243 is a fine deer round out to 400yds if you can shoot it strait and good bullets are used.
it sounds like you on the right track with the stock shortening and the Sims pad as they work realy well. Also most guns will benifit from a good bedding job and trigger work.
A very light framed youg lady we hunt with shoots a custom 243 loaded with factory Hornady Custom ammo with a 95gr SST , she has killed deer out to 375is yds and a big hog 400+lbs at 200yds. tracking here deer is never a problem as they bleed good and don't go far. the pig was hit behind the shoulder bullet go to both lungs and he only walked about 20 feet , she said he just kinda looked around and walked off.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

fwiw - my wife was shooting a Ruger M77 in 6mm Rem and having problems similar to what you are describing. Set her up with a heavier rifle, Win M70 Coyote, in 7WSM which has much more muscle, but added an Ops Inc brake and load some rounds for her to run 162 Amaxes at 2800. The gun has almost no recoil and she shoots it lights out. She used to complain after 4 or 5 shots from the 6mm. Now she can shoot 50+ rounds from the bench without any problems.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

If you can spend the money I would build him a heavier 243 with a good brake and set up to shoot the 105 amax. If not, have the rifle you have worked on with the upgrades you mentioned and get a brake.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can spend the money I would build him a heavier 243 with a good brake and set up to shoot the 105 amax. If not, have the rifle you have worked on with the upgrades you mentioned and get a brake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any reason to not use the savage action to build a heavier .243? He hunts out of a box blind, and uses his ATV to get there, so this can be built as heavy as needed. What is needed to make a "heavy" rifle? It seems like a heavy barrel, and a heavy stock would go a long way. What else should be done?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

All your ideas are good. A brake on a 243 Win would make recoil almost nil. However I will never again shoot a gun with a brake without hearing protection, in a hunting situation that means electronic hearing protection.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:02 PM

Seeing as how he is very nearly deaf, and uses very expensive hearing aids, I don't think the report of the rifle will be an issue for him. I use electronic protection on my much younger ears while at the range. The question still is, what barrel?