Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Vertical stringing=optics problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Vertical stringing=optics problem?

Get a chronograph reading..

JR
Old 03-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Bronze Member

Culprit found, I think.

Looking at everything for the 7th or 8th time, I noticed that the back of the rear ring was about 1/16" above the base. Tried jiggling it, but nothing moved. I loosened the screws that hold the rings to the base and found that the little ears the screws capture had been bent down and back. This allowed the ring to cant slightly forward, raising the rear of the scope, and the Pos-Align inserts let it do that without binding on the scope tube.

The Burris standard ring attachment method seems to rely on the front dovetail to provide the support against recoil, with the rear just centered by screws and not load-bearing. Apparently, the front ring with the plastic Pos-Align inserts couldn't clamp the scope tightly enough to keep it from moving forward a bit under recoil, and the back ring just pulled a bit more out of it's mount every shot or two as the scope moved forward.

Does this seem like a reasonable scenario? Any suggestions for a more secure setup?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Is the rear ring base salvagable?

When "upgrading" to the Burris Sig rings for a bigger kicker than the 300 WSM, I had to degrease all ring parts including the inserts. Then upon recommendations of people here, I torqued the all the screws down to just before twist off or until I was embarrassed with the pressure I was using.

The star wrench was left with pretty much a permanent full turn. I now looks like its threaded.

This is said to help one become more comfortable ring screw torque requirements.

Glad you found it. I hear that .001" on the ring is 1" @ 100yds. Kind of a rule of thumb, I guess.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Bronze Member

"Is the rear ring base salvagable?"

Looks like, but I've kind of lost faith in the "standard" mounts, given my experience. I may try it out again later, and use the "tighten 'til it squeals" method.

I had previously found a one-piece left-hand Weaver style base from B-Square, and slid by the local gun shop for some Weaver rings. Everything as been de-greased, loc-tited, well screwed down and is ready to hit the range today. This may just be a temporary setup, but it should let me know for sure if I have the problem solved.