Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Vertical stringing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vertical stringing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
. noticing that the action screws were pretty loose)
Depending on how loose these were, this definitely could lead to your initial stringing. Did you check your scope ring and mount screws as well? 3" is worse than I would expect from most all factory bolt guns - if you can definitively rule out shooter error I would take a hard look for something loose or broken in your optics or mounts.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Silver Member

Something is loose or your scope may have a problem. You could also use a better rest.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:41 AM

Well, I wont claim to be the best shot in the world, I am still new to this after all, but I was trying to be very conscious of all the basics. I'll go through the rifle to see if there's anything loose, at this point it would have to be something on the scope or mounts.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:59 PM

I recently had the same problem with my 300 win mag browning a-bolt, after adding a bipod I found that when levelling ny reticals the barrel would touch the stock. After opening up the stock the problem away. Try setting up your rifle the way u normally shoot and get someone to work a peice of paper while u torque the rifle left and right to see if it contacts the stock when u adjust it
Old 12-29-2013, 09:53 PM

I have a Savage 112 BVSS that also strings them vertically. I have found that this rifle is very sensitive to action torque values and extreme spreads in my loads. This rifle will shoot really good groups when everything is right. My brass prep and loading techniques must be on the money to keep my ES's low. It is amazing that I have practically no horizontal dispersion with this rifle, just vertical. A 1 grain change in powder charge will result in about 1.5 inch shift vertically!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
A 1 grain change in powder charge will result in about 1.5 inch shift vertically!
Wow! What caliber and at what range do you see that 1.5"? Not calling you out at all, just curious!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member

Boozer, I believe a blind drunk with Tourette Syndrome could group under 3" when shooting a half way decent rifle. Although the right rests are imperative, I would think that you have an equipment issue--either bad optics or a bad barrel. Is there any chance you could take a buddy's weapon out to gauge your performance? Perhaps let the same buddy test fire and see if he gets the same thing with your rifle? I am thinking you have a lemon in your hardware somewhere. Sorry to say . . .