Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Vertical stringing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 04:22 AM

Re: Vertical stringing

When you set up your front and rear rests make sure your sling mounts aren't resting on them. Also make sure your rests are far enough away from them, that they don't make contact during the recoil. They can act as pivot / deflection points and cause weird things to happen with your shot group.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

A few things can still be the problem. First the barrel may just be that bad from the factory, or it may not like the ammo or bullet you are shooting. When reloading vertical is normally saying you are not in the sweet spot and need to change powder charge. It could just be your shooting, but if you have not had these problems before with other guns it is probably something with the ammo.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Bronze Member

I have had the same problem with verticle high then low myself. It was only with 22-250 caliber. It was with 4 different rifles ( 2 remingtons 1 winchester, and 1 ruger) and several different powders and bullets. I dont think it is my bags because my 223s and 243s dont have any problems.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackinandstackin243 View Post
I have had the same problem with verticle high then low myself. It was only with 22-250 caliber. It was with 4 different rifles ( 2 remingtons 1 winchester, and 1 ruger) and several different powders and bullets. I dont think it is my bags because my 223s and 243s dont have any problems.
That might be the rifle gods telling you something. Try a 220 Swift!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Bronze Member

I did get a 220 swift and got along much better. However I still like a 243 better than the high velocity 22s. But just like the original post I would like to know exactly why the verticle shots are happening.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 AM

I spoke to a local gunsmith who checked my firing pin protrusion, headspace, and said they all "looked good", however he said that I should not have bedded the first 2" of the barrel forward of the recoil lug, and might be causing my problem. I had seen recommendations go both ways on that issue, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I took the action out of the stock, (noticing that the action screws were pretty loose) buzzed it out with the dremel tool, reassembled (tightened the action screws had loosened) and went shooting again this weekend. Grouping size at 100 yds didn't improve, in fact they were a bit worse ~3" groups. This time there wasn't really any vertical pattern at all, fairly random.

Not sure if it was the removal of the bedding, tightening of the screws, or the fact that I now have ~30 rounds down the tube without cleaning out the copper fouling.

This is a bit frustrating... At this point my groups aren't any better than when the gun was straight from the factory. Maybe I have a crap barrel? I know the ammo I'm using isn't top notch, but surely it wouldn't be causing that much of an issue at 100 yds.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

A solid rest will do wonders for your groups. Take all human error out of the equation, then work from there.

I understand you are on a budget, so that would be the 1st investment I would recommend, that or reloading equipment. When plausible of course.