Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Vertical Dispersion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2003, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vertical Dispersion

Tim,

I'm sure it's already freefloated, but my dads 300 WSM was vertically stringing, from horrible, to just noticably unacceptable, but almost with every group. We finally took the strain gage hook up cord off the rifle, as it was the only thing touching the barrel, and we couldn't find a single other problem... Well it worked beautifull after that, plain and simple, nice small round groups, group after group, after group... What a freaking difference!! All the load development I've done with my rifles with them cords just touching, to being sligtly pinched in between the stock and barrel is kind of making me sick the more I think about it... Been changing the way I do it now tho. Ain't shooting groups with the cords on no more, just have to give up the pressure data during them tests and get it all before hand.