Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Varmint Rifle weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Varmint Rifle weight

[ QUOTE ]
Inukshuk Hi.
For a very accurate 22.250 I have been very pleased with the M70 Winchester Stealth.
Out of the box super accurate with 52g sierra or 55g V max.
A well made and priced rifle for hunting and not out of place on the 600yds line either with the V max.
loading vit140 @ 3700fps

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. I checked it out and it does look good, I think now between the three it's just a case of looks than any thing else now. They are all up to par. So far my options have been narrowed down to either the CZ 550 Kevlar or the Remington 700 VSSF II. I don't think the differance in weight matters now.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

I don't find it bad to carry at all, but then again I'm not hauling it through the mountains of Colorado either. I usually sit in a pasture for groundhogs and only walk a few hundred yards at a time before repositioning and scoping the fields again. I'm not particularly sensitive about weight either, so our tolerances might be different.

I also have the Win Stealth in 22-250 as mentioned above. Another fine shooting rifle, but I had to bed mine to get it to shoot. Even with the aluminum bedding block, it still required glass bedding. After I did that, it shot magnificently.

As for the CZ stock, it is very comfortable for me to shoot. The palm swell is a bit large, but if you have large hands like me it shouldn't pose a problem. It definitely weighs more than the Kevlar stock, so if this is a real concern the Kevlar is a better option.

BTW, don't rule out the Rem VLS. I've got one in 223 that is scary accurate. I've heard similar results from those with the 22-250 VLS.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

So which one do you find more accurate, the VLS or your CZ laminate? Also I noticed on the CZ web site that the Kevlar and laminate are the same weight. I've got large hands as well, but this would be for myself and my 13 year old boy.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:12 AM
Silver Member

Honestly, I think the VLS has the edge and it will shoot just about anything I put through it. Hell, the factory white box Win ammo will hover between 1/2 and 3/4 MOA consistently. However, reloads are where it really shines. Unless you definitely want the stainless barrel and action, I think the VLS is a great buy.

As for size, if your boy is going to use it also, I would recommend the VLS over the CZ. It will be much more comfortable for him to shoot since it will most likely fit his hands better.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:05 AM
SPONSOR

I know you didn't mention it, but I wouldn't overlook the the cheap ol' Savage 12BVSS or 12FVSS. I guarantee that either will be a great shooter!!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

I just checked out the Savage and it has one model that I like the "Model 12FV".
So now with eveyones help it has boiled down to these two models "Model 12FV & Model 700 VS". The VS is almost double the price, but that isn't an issue,weight is almost the same so any thoughts in comparison between these two.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:58 PM
SPONSOR

The stock on the Savage is pretty sorry. The Remington stock will be much better.

The trigger on the Savage will be top notch. It will not require any work to get it down to 2#s or under.

I'm not going to badmouth the Remington cause I know it is a good gun. The Savage is just as good, in my opinion, and costs considerably less. Take the money saved on the rifle and put it in the glass!!