Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Vanguard 300 Weatherby, what to do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

Vanguard 300 Weatherby, what to do

I was able to find a very nice deal on a nib Vanguard 300 Weatherby in stainless. The test target shows a .57 group. I can't love the stock and the trigger is really bad. I have $370 in the gun and was considering a timney trigger as well as a new stock. Any thoughts on this as a potential 500 yard plus platform? Mcmillan, Accurate innovations, or other type of stock? Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:06 PM

Re: Vanguard 300 Weatherby, what to do

I got a good deal on a 270win Vangaurd also. I have only free-floated the barrel. I believe the trigger was modified and is now superb. I just worked up a load with 140 accubonds that prints under a half inch so I would be interested in the above questions as well.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Well their are several decient stocks out theirone being the Bell & Carlson Medalist , its built like the HS stocks with the aluminum bedding block much stiffer than the tuper wear they used to sell , Boyds also makes some stocks and (another shameless plug) Joel Russo can inlet a nice laminate for you.
The triggers can be tuned down pretty light around 2.5lbs safely , some guys say 1.5 but I don't trust the factory engagments , and Timney makes a trigger for them also.
get a half way decient stock and get the trigger done and you will have a sweet shooting rig.

Also , when it comes time to make a build these actions are great to build on , they are very stiff , have a big bedding area and are just well built in general.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

I would go with the Timney trigger. I put one on a 223 HOWA set around 1.5lbs and love it.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Kirt B

You mentioned the accurate innovations stock and
I use a lot of these with very good results.

My preference is the laminate it has the feel of
wood and is stronger than composits (but they are
heavier)

The AI stock has a full length alluminum beding
system and cost about the same as a good composite.

With no more than you have in the rifle you cant
lose by adding a good stock and trigger.

Good luck
J E CUSTOM
Old 02-22-2007, 10:18 PM

I have a Vanguard in 243, the test target mic'ed just over .5. I replaced the trigger with a Timney that was on sale at Midway before I even fired it. Tremendous improvement, absolutely no creep. I will probably try another Boyds laminated stock if I change the stock.
Good Luck!!
Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Gold Member

Tom manners does a stock for that action.
The trigger is basicaly the same unit as the Howa 1500, but they are not interchangable because the location screw that holds it to the action is in a slightly different possition, also the Howa is a 3 position the weatherby only a 2.
The triggers are actualy pretty good, they can be wound down quit low, certainly down to just under 2lbs, the problem is you can wind them down low enough that they are still safe and wont slam fire but you wind them past the point where the blasted safety catch will still work,
Ive tuned loads of Howas and vanguards, it is possible to alter the innards of the trigger with a little re machining, stoning and polishing and get a safe reliable trigger that breaks at 500g ( just over 1lb) but its a heck of a lot less work to swap it for a timney.
Pete