Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Using Elevation and Windage knobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Using Elevation and Windage knobs

Is there interactive software, books or video that teaches the use and adjustment of the elevation and windage knobs for tactical and target scopes.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Here's a game...

ShooterReady
Old 03-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

pstimac, thank you very much. I am going to order that video.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Silver Member

A video may be nice but, I'd recomed just going out and doing it. Get a buddy with a spotting scope who can call shots for you. In short order (ok maybe a year or two) the turrets will be an extention of your fingers. I assume your turrets are labeled in MOA, there's pleanty of info if you use the search feature. Do a little reading and head out for the woods to get some hands on learning experience.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you, will do
Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

I'm an old man and question the value of movie type shots made after twisting the knobs. A lot of scopes simply don't follow the adjustments reliably. Better by far to accurately zero in calm conditions so you know where it should hit, then hold over or into the wind to compensate for what you need to hit.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm an old man and question the value of movie type shots made after twisting the knobs
Hey, don't be knocking 'ol men. I might have to take offense.;) Don't really follow your reasoning about "movie type shots".:confused: Do you believe that because somebody dials for a shot that it's something on a par with some kind of a movie stunt? With proper equipment that has been proven in the field by shooting under all conditions, I feel that dialing for a shot is the most accurate way of guaranteeing poa equals poi. I can crank my scope up and down, left and right, all day long and it always returns to zero when I set it all back to 0 and 0.;)

It's true that some scopes don't track reliably and if I had one, and was serious about long range hunting, I be buying a new, properly designed, long range scope and either put the old one on a short range rig or I'd sell it.;)

Quote:
Better by far to accurately zero in calm conditions so you know where it should hit, then hold over or into the wind to compensate for what you need to hit.
I guess to each his own, and I know that everybody is entitled to an opinion but, for me, Kentucky elevation and windage just don't cut it at long range. Holding off into space is just a guessing game isn't it?