Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

uphill/downhill shooting questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: uphill/downhill shooting questions

after lots of research, it's looking like to really accurately hit targets at long range, i'm going to need some expensive equipment other than my rifle and scope. my budget is not that huge. i'm thinking i'm going to have to learn the protractor/string method for angled shots and make sure i bring a calculator to the range/hunt to make accurate calculations. which is fine by me. technology is great, but to be a great shooter, which i want to be, being able to make those shots with little to no technology to help is key. i'm definitely going to invest in an angle cosign and level tools though. those are nice additions. thanks for the insight. i really appreciate it
Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Gold Member

you will need a pda running exbal and one of these
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFQQ8wIwAA#, along with a rangefinder
you can go as elaborate as you can afford, or you can do it with basic equipment
RR
Old 07-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Where are you in Western SD? I may be of some help to you.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Platinum Member

You'll find that under 300 yds, unless the angle is pretty steep, there isn't much correction needed for angled shots. Especially if you're talking about deer sized vital areas.

Rock Chucks are another story though, once the angle gets over 15-20 degrees and shots get 300 or further, it pays to compensate some on those smaller targets.

The string and protractor works, but sometimes it's a little tough to sight down the straight edge and then turn the protractor sideways to view the string and the angle (gotta be careful to not lose the posistion) It's tougher still when the wind is blowing the string/weight around.

The angle indicators that mount on the scope or base are nice and handy. So are the rangefinders that show the angle to target

I am just a couple hours from RC if I go via Custer then Hill City.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH Hunter View Post
Where are you in Western SD? I may be of some help to you.

I live in Rapid City. i'm deployed, but i will be back in just a couple of weeks. should be back before august.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Silver Member

SBruce:

thanks for the insight. i really appreciate it. this will help me in my marksmanship skills!